Dryer killing signal

brian_tr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
So I posted about losing Signal every Sunday and someone mentioned something about washing clothes at that time. Well it is the Dryer. Soon as turn on it kills signal. It is about in a small room that extends into garage. Dish is probably 20 foot away. The cable runs outside wall on top of wall next to dryer. What could possibly be causing this from dryer?

Does the dryer vent up through the ceiling? Your Dish coax may be laying on that vent and the heat is effecting the signal.
The vent goes through the bottom. Happens as soon as dryer comes on. I going to get new dryer. Something got hung up in dryer causing it to stop rotating and had bad electric smell. It took out the door switch which I replaced and dryer came back on after cooling off.

A lot of dryer brands are made by Whirlpool. There are idler wheels that have bearings that the drum rides on. The bearings go bad or start to drag. Also there is a spring loaded plastic idler wheel beside the motor pully to keep the dryer drum belt tight. The drive motor has an overload that kicks the motor out till it cools off before it will work again. A buddy had these very same problems. Got the new plastic part, new belt. and lubricated the bearings with FREE ALL, similar to BLASTER, or WD-40. I feel FREE ALL is the best. We fixed my buddy,s dryer last spring and it still works. There are movies on YOU TUBE that explain how to fix and get the parts. Also some of these new dryers and washing machines that have wifi can cause problems.

Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
My Samsung washer and dryer have wifi....Maybe the signal is to weak, start the appliance and wipes it out?

• Wow
Reactions: primestar31
I used to have the same problem, many years ago, with a Directv receiver. In my case, the signal would go out every time I used the microwave. I moved the receiver farther away from the microwave, and plugged it into a different outlet. That solved the issue.
The vent goes through the bottom. Happens as soon as dryer comes on. I going to get new dryer. Something got hung up in dryer causing it to stop rotating and had bad electric smell. It took out the door switch which I replaced and dryer came back on after cooling off.
If your new dryer causes the same issue, maybe try having an electrician put your dryer on a different circuit, where it hopefully will not cause any interference with your satellite equipment. I am guessing that they are on the same circuit. So, whenever the dryer is running, it draws too much power, not leaving enough power for your receiver to actually function properly.

I am guessing that they are on the same circuit.
My 2 cent worth opinion:
Unless the house is very old ( The circuit boxes were small) , power hungry appliances should have their designated circuit breakers. Easy to check. Turn the breaker off. Turn your hopper, then drier on. If both on same circuit, check if the breaker box has enough slots, add more.
I have never had any issue using washer/drier and Dish at the same time. My laundry room in the basement is next to a small room (I call it home run room) where all of my electronics are. I just measured it. The washer/drier units are about 10-12' away from the opposite wall (of home run room). The vent pipe is horizontal first, then straight up about 8-9', then horizontal pipe to outside. The hopper cable from dish is not close to the pipes at all.

(BTW, you must not ignore the lint build up in vent pipes!! If you don't clean once a year, you are really risking a fire. Amazon, Lowe's, etc. has plenty vent cleaning kits to buy. You attach the rods, and connect it to your cordless drill. Did mine yesterday. A lot of lint came out of the pipes.)

I used to have the same problem, many years ago, with a Directv receiver. In my case, the signal would go out every time I used the microwave. I moved the receiver farther away from the microwave, and plugged it into a different outlet. That solved the issue.
We had an old microwave that did the same thing to our routers 2.4Ghz wifi signal. Then I finally realized that IF it was putting out that much microwave RF, it likely didn't have good shielding and wasn't safe to be standing in front of it when it was being used. I replaced it then.

Unless the house is very old ( The circuit boxes were small) , power hungry appliances should have their designated circuit breakers. Easy to check. Turn the breaker off. Turn your hopper, then drier on. If both on same circuit, check if the breaker box has enough slots, add more.
Good points. I have a comment of my own, and another question that's off topic. Most driers I know of are 240V, which means that they'll be on both legs of your house wiring. So, you can and should get your receiver off the same circuit! But you cannot get your receiver off both legs of the 2-phase power coming into the house, or it would have no power.

That said, I have a need for a light on the side of my house with no source of power other than my heat pump compressor. That's also running off 240V. But if I picked off a little power from one leg, the A/C would never notice it and I would never blow a breaker, and that way I could power a light. That's my claim. This is no doubt a violation of building codes, possibly for good reason. Does anybody want to advice me not to do it?

Note: Never blowing a breaker could be a problem if my added circuit gets shorted somehow.

Reactions: charlesrshell
That said, I have a need for a light on the side of my house with no source of power other than my heat pump compressor. That's also running off 240V. But if I picked off a little power from one leg, the A/C would never notice it and I would never blow a breaker, and that way I could power a light. That's my claim. This is no doubt a violation of building codes, possibly for good reason. Does anybody want to advice me not to do it?
Would a solar-powered light work there? They have plenty of reasonably-priced ones at Harbor Freight Tools. (Even cheaper if you use a coupon.) That's where we got ours, and they work great outside when we need light at night. They are on a motion-detector, so it is not like they stay on all night to drain the battery. They also have a light sensor, so the motion-detector does not turn them on during the day, either.

We had an old microwave that did the same thing to our routers 2.4Ghz wifi signal. Then I finally realized that IF it was putting out that much microwave RF, it likely didn't have good shielding and wasn't safe to be standing in front of it when it was being used. I replaced it then.
I still have my old microwave, but I rarely use it. However, another newer microwave does seem to cause issues with my Wi-Fi whenever I use it while also listening to streaming music going from my Echo Dot to a Bluetooth speaker. The bad part is that this microwave is located on the opposite side of my house from where the router and Echo Dot are located. So, it would be hard to get them any farther apart than they are now.

I would not tap the 240 line. Odd you brought that up right now. I need a 120 line in my crawl space. I have an unused 240 I could tap. Pretty sure an inspector would not like that. So I’ll tap a line I sent to my AV rig. Have to test it with AV running and humidifiers kicking in (on that 120 crawl space tap).

I would not tap the 240 line. Odd you brought that up right now. I need a 120 line in my crawl space. I have an unused 240 I could tap. Pretty sure an inspector would not like that. So I’ll tap a line I sent to my AV rig. Have to test it with AV running and humidifiers kicking in (on that 120 crawl space tap).
Can you change the 240 circuit breaker out for two 120 then use the existing line? Maybe put two regular outlets in?

Not sure if that would be code, but just a thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)