dsl signal strength?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

R0ss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Ayer, Ma
My wife is a medical case manager (RN). She works athome using employer supplied pc, avaya voip phone, and a Cisco 8100 router.
For the last year the employer provoded internet service. That went away Nov 1. At that time we plugged her router into our home network. We have Verizon DSL 3-7 meg service, according to speedtest.net it is averaging 5 meg. Her IT dept recommends 3 meg min service.
So for the first month all is well. Long aboit December 1 she began to experience her phone going down. Initial solution was to unplug cisco router from power wait 10 minutes and plug back in. This worked. However once she had to do it more than twice a day she called IT.
IT called back today and told her that there is an issue with the signal.strength on our line and we need to call Verizon.
So does this sound right? What exactly do I need to ask/say to getverizon to ckeck into this and not blow me off...
Personally I think it is the cisco router that is the problem, since rebooting the router usually solves the problem.
I tried to be brief so if more info is needed ask.
I should add we have zero problems streaming through Roku box or any otheruse of the internet.
Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

I had an issue with noise on my DSL line at my office once, it really can slow things down and interfere with VOIP services. My upload speed would constantly drop to about 300-600kbps. If I restarted the modem it would work fine for a few hours and then just slow down again. My phone company came out and fixed it for free since the problem was physically located outside my office. If Verizon is the same way, might be worth a shot, they can sometimes diagnose it over the phone as well. I was warned, though, if the problem was inside my office I would have to pay $75 if the tech came in to fix it.

Thanks
Ill check it out. Upload speeds have been consistent. But maybe there is somethong elae.

Ross

You need to log into your modem and look at your SNR. When it goes below 6 you will drop connection every time

ROLLTIDE said:
You need to log into your modem and look at your SNR. When it goes below 6 you will drop connection every time

Thanks. I actually had verizon out today. Tech hooked his equipment up inside and confirmed noise on the line. Replaced network interface, new dsl filter at the network interface, and went up the poll to be sure all was kosher there. He did pull the connections at the poll and re do those too. Noise gone. Hopefully no more issues. I'll keep an eye on SNR.
Thanks again
Happy new year

Ross

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts