DSR410-FTA and 60hz big screen

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cliffover3

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
US
I have hits w5. Looking into getting a 52" big screen TV. I can get one under a $1000. I know the c-band is digital. The Hdtv is of what use? I don't watch any sports so would the 60hz be sufficient? Anybody have same setup?

A higher refresh rate is suppose to work better with fast moving motion. I have a 60hz rate on my Sharp AQUOS and I'm satisfied even with sports. I think a lot of the numbers and things they throw at you these days are gimmicks. When I look at the comparison in stores between fast and slow rates all it seems like to me is the faster rate blurs the picture to cover up artifacts.

Thanks, yeah that's what I've been hearing, most people don't see any difference. Didn't know if with a bigger screen it would be more noticable.
I'm looking at a samsung 52" 60hz 1080p at walmart for $898, although they are out and I am waiting for more to come in. They won't sell the floor model untill that TV is disscontinued, which will be real soon I suspect.

I was wondering about that myself. When I got ready for a new TV last year I went to Best Buy. They have many on the wall all with the same signal, and the wall they hang them on is fairly dark so you don't see as much glare. From what I could see, the ones that are higher refresh rate do a lot better with moving text on the screen, such as ticker tape running across the bottom. The 240hz with the smoothing technology do the best, but they are expensive, a heck of a lot more for a small change.

Check the specs for the black level (contrast). Once you get the TV home in your living room where it isn't under fluorescent light, deeper blacks really make the picture pop. From what I've seen, Samsungs have a good product. It looks like the one you are looking at has a 60,000:1 contrast ratio. If the numbers aren't too inflated at the factory :) this should look pretty good at home.

I have a 410 hooked up to an LG LED 42" LCD 120hz, and it looks just OK. The real limiting factor is the resolution coming out of the 410. However it looks awesome with FTA, netflix, and OTA in high def.

Last edited:
The analog composite output of the 410 still looks pretty good to my eye on my HD TV. I recently used one for the month of January. I just switched back to using my 922 with S-video which is slightly better. I notice crisper edges on text and graphics with less of a soft look overall.

Hey good info here from you folks thanks.. I think with the samsung 60hz is fine for me. The contrast ratio is 80,000:1 I believe. Your'e right about the 410 being the limiting factor of the resolution. What ever it is it looks good to us right now on the old 36" panasonic. I have OTA, I said FTA before. Corrado I thought the w5 satellite was digital to the 410?

im a tv repair man by trade if i was you since i noticed that wally world has Mitsubishi tv's i would get the 60 inch for 799.54 and but the 3 year extended warranty for only 118 more. we work on Mitsubishi tv less than most other brands as they build a better tv, but im a little concerned that Mitsubishi is in wally world now, just hope their brand dotn go down hill like the others that have gotten into wally world

Mitsubishi TVs are well made TVs. We have had them in the past.
I have had long reliability records with toshiba regza LCD TVs also. Mine are on almost 24/7.

I think refresh rate is very important. There's a lot of hype in marketing for sure. Everybody wants to brag about the specs of their high end products that are made in china.

I would get a 120hz refresh tv. Smoother images that flow naturally is important. My DSR-905's look pretty decent on my flat screens using composite RCA plugs.

My DSR-905's look pretty decent on my flat screens using composite RCA plugs.

My "big screen" is only a 32" LCD but it has a great picture. I do not have a DSR410 yet but I probably will get one soon. On my DSR922 I have much better picture quality using the composite outputs with high grade cables. I never had much luck with S video on my stuff and I just avoid using those jacks even though it is supposed to be better than composite. :)

My Aquos is 32 inch 4DTV looks great on it with S or composite. S has the edge with more detail and purer color. The master feeds always look great. HITS looks good, better than DirecTV. I think one reason HITS looks better is they use a true 640x480 resolution. Direct downrezes to 480x480 when transmitting.

Wow ok, yeah 120hz is smart. The 60" mike74820 mentioned at wally world looked good but they are out of stock now, that was quick! Not sure what HZ they were.
Going to have to brush up on s-video vs composite cables, I don't know which is which. Thanks

hey all bought a 50" plasma 720p tv. Just hooked it up. Not so good a pic with BUD dsr410. Setting on tv show dsr410 signal is coming in at 480. Any body know of any tricks to increase pic quality? I tweaked with the settings some. It's composite hookup.

Not so good a pic with BUD dsr410.

Just wondering what looks bad?

What mode on your tv are you running standard, movie vivid etc...? What size aspect are you using native sterched etc.. ?

Picture quality grainy, I checked my signal strentgh and it's 89%. The vivid pic mode did help some. Format selection's full, h-fill, and just looks the best. Is that what you mean about aspect? I just got it hooked up yesterday and was up at 2am today looking at the settings. I know I don't have something hooked up right because I have to turn the old vcr on before the dsr410 works. Don't even have the dvd hooked up yet, I may get a blu-ray with some speakers. More important is the good sking here in Calif. right now. We tape old westerns on the vcr.

Your comment about having to turn on the vcr raises suspicion. Try your composite cables direct from 410 to TV. This will give you the best picture.

It may not be how you want it in the final hookup but at least you will be able to tell how much other components are degrading the signal. My setup got the best results splitting off the receiver, one set direct to tv and other to vcr, etc.

Thanks DHJ, yeah,, not hooked up right. I'll try the direct hookup. I wonder if there is an upconversion for the sat signal like you see on these dvd home theater systems. I'm looking into one for a sound system. Can't hear the TV so good when the pellet stove is going. I'll report back in a couple of days let ya know. Back to the snow today.

dhj, I did what you said about direct hook up from Sat to tv, is good, quite good. I think the change from 36" tv to 50" was an adjustment so there was a eye change there. Like you said the final hookup might change some. Hooking up theater package tommorrow. Thanks

Most modern TVs have multiple inputs of the various types. There should be enough for components to each have their own dedicated input without running through each other. I like the 4:3 aspect when viewing SD. I despise "stretchovision" to fill the screen.

I have a new 240hz 46 inch led tv. and hooked a hd video converter from the 4dtv box which is 480, and jumped it to 1080 with an hdmi cable. it helped. svideo to hdmi.

Status
Please reply by conversation.