DSR905 on a KU only system

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Can a DSR905 digital sidecar be used on a KU only system?

I keep hearing that you need access to C-band in order to authorize the unit and download the channel maps and guide. However while reading the installation instructions I read that one of the LNB selections within setup is a KU band LNB only.

That's something I really don't know, but I think you will have to use C-band to get it authorized, if it needs authorization. If you want to get maps and/or programming guide you will need C-band. A member of this forum from Virginia took his to a friends house, who had a C-band dish, and got the maps and (I think) authorization. Then he took it home and used it for X4 programming. Another member of this forum says you only need to use any of the movie services (i.e.,HBO, Showtime, Starz) on any satellite to get the maps. I can't confirm that. But, there are now some movie channels on X4, don't know the provider, maybe they would work. But, I'm also sure you need the C-band to get the programming guide. Try it and see, if it works it'll make a lot of people on this forum happy to know that. I wish you Luck?

Al

PopcornNMore said:
Can a DSR905 digital sidecar be used on a KU only system?

One more time, No. Not for consumer use only.

However while reading the installation instructions I read that one of the LNB selections within setup is a KU band LNB only.

It's just a feature of the unit. It might be capable of "ku only" for business users, though.
It's also possible, if you have the correct equipment, to upload your own maps to the unit. But the software that used to allow this, no longer works, because, Motorola, redesigned the structure of the maps and the person who created the software stopped development on it.

(Just a note - Just because you have a channel mapped doesn't mean you'll be able to receive it if it is encrypted.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)