DTS Unveils New Audio Technologies

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
DTS-HD Layered Audio allows for easier deliver of adaptive streaming to any screen and any device from just one source, DTS said, eliminating the need for multiple encodes of the same audio tracks and reducing digital storage costs.

“We designed our Layered Audio technology with bandwidth limitations, server resource efficiency and consumer enjoyment in mind,” said Mark Johnson, VP of streaming and media solutions for DTS. “Our goal at DTS is to deliver the best quality, immersive audio experience possible. DTS-HD Layered Audio helps enable this under some of the most challenging broadband conditions in a manner that is both efficient and cost effective, and it fully works with our suite of existing DTS-HD encoders and decoders.”

Link

Sounds like a cool idea as long as it actually works as well as they say it does with our existing equipment. Now will any of the big names in streaming, mainly Netflix, switch to DTS.

Ever streaming service I have tried either uses DD or PCM stereo. Netflix uses DD+ 5.1 on my roku and standard DD 5.1 on my Apple TV. I don't notice much difference but many people on the AVS forums say the DD+ sounds noticeably better. I would be all for switching to this new DTS encode if it can bring streaming closer to Blu-ray quality audio. I just don't see the major streaming services like Netflix switching to DTS after it took them so long to get DD 5.1 rolled out to most devices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)