DTV News?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nah, that doesn't do a whole lot for me. Sports are meant to be viewed LIVE not recorded. I can see me watching a game with the other being recorded and getting a live update or score crawl that would negate the need to go back and watch what was recorded. What we REALLY need is Picture in Picture. I've got one TV that has it and one that doesn't but event with the one that has PIP, you've got to have two receivers hooked up, which I don't. Why not use the two tuners already available in the one receiver to view two programs at once???

Nah, that doesn't do a whole lot for me. Sports are meant to be viewed LIVE not recorded. I can see me watching a game with the other being recorded and getting a live update or score crawl that would negate the need to go back and watch what was recorded. What we REALLY need is Picture in Picture. I've got one TV that has it and one that doesn't but event with the one that has PIP, you've got to have two receivers hooked up, which I don't. Why not use the two tuners already available in the one receiver to view two programs at once???

There is only output, so pip wouldn't work. Actually there is more than one, but only one tuner outputs at a time. I don't know if a software rewrite could change that.

I don't know if a software rewrite could change that.

I'd have to go re-read the specs to be sure, but I think theres only one mpeg decoder in the box, so only one stream can be displayed.

You can get PIP working pretty well if you hook up a PC to the tv and ran directv2pc on it. Then you can have two recordings displaying at the same time PIP and stop/start either one...one with the directv remote and the other with a PC remote/keyboard.

This past sunday I had an NFLST game going in my primary window on the tv, and my pc tuned to the RZC with supercast in the small window. When we got to a commercial on the main screen, I flipped the PIP's until it was over.

One downside to this...you realllly have to pay attention to whats going on...

I'd have to go re-read the specs to be sure, but I think theres only one mpeg decoder in the box, so only one stream can be displayed.

Then how does it record two streams at one time?

The recordings arent decoded, they're stored directly to the disk in whatever format (mpeg2/mpeg4) they were transmitted in, from directv to the receiver.

When you watch a stream, the boxes internal decoder decodes it to the tv.

When you're doing directv2pc, your PC decodes the stream to your screen.

When you're doing MRV, the client receiver does the decode to the tv.

The update should go to most people overnight tonight.

The notes are posted in our Technicial Discussions forum.

The recordings arent decoded, they're stored directly to the disk in whatever format (mpeg2/mpeg4) they were transmitted in, from directv to the receiver.

When you watch a stream, the boxes internal decoder decodes it to the tv.

When you're doing directv2pc, your PC decodes the stream to your screen.

When you're doing MRV, the client receiver does the decode to the tv.

So the directv2pc program has the mpeg4 decoder in it?

Yep. Its got some of the innards from cyberlinks powerdvd buried in there somewhere and I'm pretty sure their mpeg4/h.264 decoder is part of the package.

I've been getting my new laptop going so I dont have all the goodies on it yet, but on my old one I looked at the installed codecs and saw that both the cyberlink mpeg2 and mpeg4 codecs showed up after I installed directv2pc.

C:\Program Files\DirecTV\DirecTV\Kernel\DMP

has cl264dec.ax, claud.ax and clvsd.ax, the powerdvd h.264, audio and video codecs, respectively.

Yep. Its got some of the innards from cyberlinks powerdvd buried in there somewhere and I'm pretty sure their mpeg4/h.264 decoder is part of the package.

I've been getting my new laptop going so I dont have all the goodies on it yet, but on my old one I looked at the installed codecs and saw that both the cyberlink mpeg2 and mpeg4 codecs showed up after I installed directv2pc.

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know that.

It's useful to know because sometimes installing directv2pc causes problems for other older cyberlink products and vice versa. It caused the cyberlink dvd authoring software on my four year old desktop to stop working properly until I tinkered around with it a while.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts