DTV or Dish Network/????/?

hipertec

Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
HI..hope you guys can help me! I cant decide with either Dish Network or Direct TV. I live in southen california and would get the $40-50 package.

I have kids, so cartoon network, disney, etc are important. But so is the "package deal"- like free equipment, install, less terms, etc.

Could someone let me know which is best to go with and what company to got with? I would like to get a 4 room package with HDTV and TIVO receivers. I called a store and they "only" lease the equipment, which i think dont work for me.

It sounds like you have already decided on D*, just with TiVo and Equipment purchase. Check out the offering of the site sponsor valueelectronics.com they can get you hooked up and you get 10% off for being a member here.

I know you can get 3 rooms free (equipment and install) but this does not include HD or TiVo, with any provider. If you have the cash I would recommend the HD TiVo, it is great, but very pricey.

TiVo is also the best DVR available today, I have tried them all ... well at least seen them all in action, and TiVo is the only way to go today.

The only advantage to Dish over D* (as I see it) is leasing, which seems like a waste of money to me.

The most economical way to get HDTV and multi-TV DVR capabilty, with the lowest monthly cost, is the Dish Network DHA plan. Yes, this is a leasing plan, no different than leasing cable boxes. The advantage to you is no upfront cost for HDTV and DVR equipment and the fact that it is under warranty for the entire time that you use it. Dish also has existing customer upgrade & add-on promos as updated equipment becomes available.

Take the time to visit a full-service satellite TV retailer in your area to get all the facts and have a demonstration.

If non-HD DVR is the topic then I would hesitate hard to say TiVo is better than a ReplayTV unit. As for the DBS services D* is the way to go. As far as HD DVRs, once you get past the WOW & keep up with the Jones' factor they are really not worth the money; you can't off-load your programs to any HD format yet so you can just replay them via the DVR (they replay that often on the channel anyway). With a ReplayTV unit you can net share, and DVD backup all for free. Everyone will have there own prefs, but only you can decide.

already answered your question in the DirecTV forum. I hope you read it and find it helpful.

charper1 said:
If non-HD DVR is the topic then I would hesitate hard to say TiVo is better than a ReplayTV unit. As for the DBS services D* is the way to go. As far as HD DVRs, once you get past the WOW & keep up with the Jones' factor they are really not worth the money; you can't off-load your programs to any HD format yet so you can just replay them via the DVR (they replay that often on the channel anyway). With a ReplayTV unit you can net share, and DVD backup all for free. Everyone will have there own prefs, but only you can decide.

More correctly stated, you cannot off-load your shows with the factory unit. There are many wonder tools out there to help with what DirecTV has refused to provide. I run them. But for HD it is a waste, until they produce a terabyte disk this will be a challenge across the board.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts