DTV transition problem

Some but not all

It seems that the problem with the ViP receivers when a station changes frequencies but keeps the same virtual channel, the ViP does not drop the original RF signature but keeps it associated with the virtual channel and then adds the new frequency also associated with the same virtual channel and the receiver says WHAT!!!.

My 622 locked on to one of the old RF frequencies and would not change channels until I went in and deleted the bad data.

So you need to delete ALL your channels (especially those who change frequency) and rescan so your receiver will drop the invalid associations between RF and virtual channels.

That maybe true with some of the VIP's but not all. I didn't have to delete the channels here that shifted to another ch. The station where I work went from 13 (virtual 9) to true 9 and CBS in our area left it's UHF slot (virtual 7) and moved to true 7. I didn't have to delete either but with a rescan they came up as correct. I think there may be more to this than just what is seen by the VIP. I think the station must have to chance something in the PSIP data stream to get the unit to lock on to the new real/virtual ch. combo.

2 things

So do I need to contact Dish concerning my lost guide data? My local ABC changed frequencies, so I deleted and rescanned. The channel now comes in great but my guide data is gone.

2 things 1: It will download tonite when the unit connections to Dish. 2: you can do a ck switch to get it to manually reload.

Dish boxes are very tricky. Gotta luv 'em. While they don't get the guide data from the PSIP stream, there is channel mapping info embedded, also. This is the portion they have to read that is incorect. We had a couple stations a few months ago that had to make a slight change in their setup. D* boxes were able to tune into the actual broadcast frequencies, while E* boxes looked for the mapdown. Same thing was going on this morning with two of our stations. The box was looking for PBS on 53 when it was actually on 9. Our ABC moved from 61 to 10.

S~
This is pretty frustrating. ABC and PBS swithed to VHF. Well, I have a UHF antenna. May signal quality on ABC went from 98 to 53. :mad:

I thought I read somewhere they weren't going to VHF until 2010 or 2011. I guess I was wrong.

So do I need to contact Dish concerning my lost guide data? My local ABC changed frequencies, so I deleted and rescanned. The channel now comes in great but my guide data is gone.

2 things 1: It will download tonite when the unit connections to Dish. 2: you can do a ck switch to get it to manually reload.

Same thing happened to my local CBS. I tried a check switch and it didn't work. It's seen 3 nightly reboots and still no guide data.

So, who should I contact about this; E* or the local station?

Same thing happened to my local CBS. I tried a check switch and it didn't work. It's seen 3 nightly reboots and still no guide data.

So, who should I contact about this; E* or the local station?

Funny thing is, on one of my 622's I deleted the old ABC, did a rescan, and lost my guide data. But on the other 622. I did NOT delete my old ABC. I just did a rescan without deleting and it keep my guide data.

I have lost KTRK Ch 13 on my 622 and my TV's. Not sure what has caused this but I get no signal. I do still get Ch8 which looks like it is on the same tower according to antennaweb.org

vhf_____KTRK-DT____13.1___ABC____HOUSTON, TX____126°____25.4___13
vhf_____KUHT-DT____8.1____PBS____HOUSTON, TX____126°____25.4___8

Has this happened to anyone else in Houston? It disappeared yesterday.

Have you re-scanned for the current channels??
I also lost several of the locals and had to re-scan to get them back....

Here is what I did. I have a ViP 722k. I rescanned and still did not have Fox 8 in Cleveland, OH, even after deleting the channels. I unplugged the unit for about a minute or so. Disconnected the OTA cable from the unit. Turned it back on and rescanned without the OTA cable plugged in. Once that was finished, I unplugged again for about a minute. I reattached the OTA cable, turned the unit on, rescanned, and voila - Fox 8 Cleveland was there finally. I just followed the instructions from their website.

Also, my local OTA channels have much better signal strength now since the transition.

The digital transition sucks. I thought signal strengths were supposed to get better? Channels that were getting a weaker signal are now stronger, PBS is a good one. KHOU is weaker and now KTRK isn't comming in.

I will try that and report back.

It looks like KTRK went from UHF (chan 32) to VHF (chan 13). Are you sure that your OTA antenna can receive VHF signals? This killed me here in Seattle on the same number - KCPQ went from 18 (UHF) to 13 (VHF) and my "HD" antenna (that was purchased years ago) is just for UHF.

Tried that and it didn't work on my 622 or the TV. When I look at ch 13 in the add locals menu there is 0 signal. when I look at ch 8 there is 98% signal. I don't know what else to do except call the station.

Ch 8, 11 & 13 are VHF and ch 8 and 11 come in fine. Would there be something different about 13? If you want to look at my zip on antennaweb.org it's 77493

Thanks for the feedback!

It's behind you

Ch 8, 11 & 13 are VHF and ch 8 and 11 come in fine. Would there be something different about 13? If you want to look at my zip on antennaweb.org it's 77493

Thanks for the feedback!
Using tvfool.com and Katy, TX 77493 is behind you most of the rest of the stations are in the opposite direction. Which most likely the antenna you are using won't pick it up as a "back wave".

Using tvfool.com and Katy, TX 77493 is behind you most of the rest of the stations are in the opposite direction. Which most likely the antenna you are using won't pick it up as a "back wave".
This is not correct; you must have a typo in that lookup. All his stations are in one direction (135deg) and at a distance of under 30 miles (except for KBTX virtual 3 real 50). All his channels, including KTRK, should be coming in perfectly.

OP: It's plausible that you have another source of interference that's klling RF13 and only RF13, in which case it's not listed on TVfool and is probably an illicit transmitter. You might have such a transmitter yourself in the form of an RF modulator. Do you have any traps installed? Commercial tuned traps cost $25, so that's implausible. It's vaguely possible that you accidentally built yourself a stub notch filter from a tee (not a splitter) and a short piece of cable not connected to anything. But I'm really straining here to come up with that idea.

I went to radio shack and bought a 60 dollar outdoor antenna. I used the mount dish installed on the roof for the original ota antenna which was UHF only. I get 40 plus channels. When the atmosphere is right i get pittsburgh CBS 2, wheeling WV ch 7 and ch 9 out of steubinville, oh. I live in Canton Ohio.

Look it up

This is not correct; you must have a typo in that lookup. All his stations are in one direction (135deg) and at a distance of under 30 miles (except for KBTX virtual 3 real 50). All his channels, including KTRK, should be coming in perfectly.

OP: It's plausible that you have another source of interference that's klling RF13 and only RF13, in which case it's not listed on TVfool and is probably an illicit transmitter. You might have such a transmitter yourself in the form of an RF modulator. Do you have any traps installed? Commercial tuned traps cost $25, so that's implausible. It's vaguely possible that you accidentally built yourself a stub notch filter from a tee (not a splitter) and a short piece of cable not connected to anything. But I'm really straining here to come up with that idea.

Would you look up your location on your own and find out. You have 2 choices that can look up OTA charts. 1 is tvfool.com the other is antennaweb.org then maybe you can figure out what your problem is and if it has to do with directional problems. It may be necessary for you to get an omnidirctional amplfied antenna that can be mounted inside attic. BTW I don't think I did a typo since I used Katy, TX and the zip he supplied. I saw that most of his stations were in one direction but there was 1 13 in the almost opposite direction. Now when I input the info on antenna web it gives all his stations in almost 1 direction but TV fool shows 13 as behind him. So the OP needs to do some of his own work.

Now when I input the info on antenna web it gives all his stations in almost 1 direction but TV fool shows 13 as behind him.
Bizarre. I used TVfool too, entering only the zip. It shows up (for me) just like your antennaweb query.