DTV Wiring Questions

tspenard

Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
USA
Hi, I have searched for hours and can not find solid answers to these basic questions.

I had DTV up until 2 years ago and still have that old dish mounted on the roof with 4 coax leads coming in to two wall plates where the two receivers used to be located. That system used two identical DVRs, I think they were HR-24s. So I have from the roof to both receiver points well wired with quad shield RG-6 and weatherproof compression connectors. I was hoping that the latest generation of DVR and additional mini receiver(s) system (assuming that's what you get with a new contract now) can make use of these cables if slightly repurposed.

If I want to avoid wireless communication between boxes (assuming that is the standard install but some research indicated it costs more per month, so it's optional maybe?) would the latest 2 unit system work via interconnected coax?

If the provided second receiver is wireless only should I be worried about a 35' direct line through a floor and a wall?

What are the most likely main DVR unit and satellite (mini?) unit model numbers I'd receive so I can search for pdf manuals?

Thank you for any guidance!

They can reuse your wiring. The current setups use one cable to each dvr, whether it's a genie or not. Also you only need one cable from the dish to inside the house.

Reactions: tspenard
Also, you would get either an HR54 or HS17 genie. There are differences that you should compare. WIreless wouldn't cost any more than wired.

They can reuse your wiring. The current setups use one cable to each dvr, whether it's a genie or not. Also you only need one cable from the dish to inside the house.
Thanks. All I can find are units which appear to have one coax (usually labelled SWiM) jack. If the new satellite has one jack then the one coax cable outside would go between it and the main DVR receiver unit. What kind of cable would interconnect the two receivers?

One cable from the dish goes to a splitter. From the splitter one line goes to each dvr/receiver/client, depending upon the equipment you have.

One cable from the dish goes to a splitter. From the splitter one line goes to each dvr/receiver/client, depending upon the equipment you have.
That sounds easy. I thought there were more layers to it, like connection over home network with some sort of coax to ethernet multiplexer. Either way I'm wired to make that happen but some work inside the walls would be needed so I wanted to be prepared before the install date.

It sounds like the HR54 makes the most sense if only using two total TV receivers. I don't suppose this can be specified, so one must wait until the installer gets here to ask for my preference and hope.

That sounds easy. I thought there were more layers to it, like connection over home network with some sort of coax to ethernet multiplexer. Either way I'm wired to make that happen but some work inside the walls would be needed so I wanted to be prepared before the install date.

It sounds like the HR54 makes the most sense if only using two total TV receivers. I don't suppose this can be specified, so one must wait until the installer gets here to ask for my preference and hope.
Which equipment you get should be specified on the work order. If you aren't using a wireless client then you don't need to do anything but connect the genie to the internet either wired or wireless.

Which equipment you get should be specified on the work order. If you aren't using a wireless client then you don't need to do anything but connect the genie to the internet either wired or wireless.
On second thought, I'm not sure about the wireless connection. You may need a wireless video bridge that Directv will supply. I'd stay wired if you can.

The HS-17 has a built in Wireless Bridge --the HR-44 and Hr54 Need a External Wireless bridge installed which can be located anywhere in the Home to reach the wireless clients (NOTE) no wireless 4K mini exists (meaning) if you are thinking of getting 4k service that will needed a Wired C61K Mini (WIRED) means coax back to the swim splitter (where) the DISH downlead is connected.

the external Wireless bridge --needs a wire (rg6) back to the swim splitter --so you still would need a wire for the wireless to work.

Reactions: raoul5788

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)