Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I went to the web site to place the order. They expect me to enter my credit card information "in the clear." As in, no padlock, no https. Truly a bad idea.

Maybe later I'll call the toll free number (1-888-638-9912) to order.

Well, that site behaved a little quirky for me, and eventually told me:

"Our records indicate that you or this address had Dish Network service in the past. We are unable to automatically process your request to order the DTVPal receiver online. Please call 1-888-673-9040 and a DTVPal representative will help you with your order."

Reminiscent of ordering the DTV Pal.

Well, i called the # in the post above, 1-888-673-9040, & it clearly is not set up to order thePal DVR. So I selected tech support/order equip/order HD equip and of course was placed on hold. The lady who eventually came on line tried to tell me I had to order it online. I gave her the sad tale. I'm still on hold waiting.

They're really making it hard to order these things, at least for existing customers.

Addendum: She insisted I had to wait until 12/17 or order it online. Didn't seem to get thru to her that the web site would not allow it. I will now try the other number, 1-888-638-9912.

That led to the same voicemail hell. So I pressed 0 three times & it put me in a queue for a CSR. Here I sit, broken hearted, ......

Got somebody who knew little. She kept saying DTVPal, I kept saying no, it's the DTV Pal DVR, a different product on preorder today. She asked if I had a coupon. Sigh. Explained it was not eligible for a coupon, it was a DVR. Now I'm on hold again.

She came back. Said the only website was the dtvpal.com one. I relayed that it was not secure, plus I'm a current customer and it won't work anyway. Back on hold.

She came back, started to talk, then disappeared. Not sure if I'm on hold or cut off. I'll probably know soon. 16 minutes into this call.

Why do I suspect I'll be sending an email to ceo etc?

Well, 22 plus minutes into this call, haven't heard anything for over 6 minutes, so I guess she's not coming back, but did not hang up either, since the connection is still open. I guess tonight I'll send that email and hope for the best. They really aren't prepared to take pre-orders for this thing, sad to say.

The CEO people work for Dish Network. These boxes are from Echostar. I think they're simply putting Dish Network's obviously more familiar name on them.... I suspect they won't be able to help you with this. Doesn't hurt to try though.

Lot's of folks at AVS reporting having the same problems. Can't believe they expect you to submit your credit card data unencrypted.

I tried it again and again I got a secure http page and showed a padlock...

Attachments

• dtvpal1.jpg
    dtvpal1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 145
  • dtvpal2.jpg
    dtvpal2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 129
Yes, at that site I get the https:. At dtvpal.com I do not. CSR said to only use dtvpal.com. I'm not going to send my credit card data unencrypted, especially when it seems I'll be told I need to call the order in anyway.

Yes. And the CSR said not to use that page. ??? But I used it anyway, and that's the page that sent me the message saying I had to call in, as I was a current customer.

Don't bother calling in. At least, not yet.

SUCCESS

I just got a call from a lady from Dish Network, in response to my e-mail. She took my order for one. Even offered expedited shipping, which I declined. So on 12/17/08, it should be on it's way to me.

Maybe we'll post and see who has the lowest serial number! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)