DTV's Response or Lack Of

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mtnmike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2004
Longmont, Colorado
The following exchange reference their latest announcements tells me they have yet to make any official announcements as to how they will address these issues. Any other thoughts??? :eek:

To Direct TV,

I read with interest DTV's recent press release concerning its switch to MPEG4 for LIL HD with the two satellite launches this year.

I was planning to purchase the Hughes 10-250 HD-DVR and sign up for DTV's HD package in May. However, if I read the press release correctly it appears the HD-DVR 10-250 and all other HD receivers will be incapable of receiving MPEG-4. Since this renders these expensive receivers obsolete, I have put my decision to upgrade on hold until I know for certain what if any HD-DVR receiver's will be offered by DTV that are compatible with this new technology.

I would be very upset if I spent hundreds of dollars for a current HD-DVR (Hughes 10-250) only to find it obsolete in the months ahead. What does the short-term future hold for me to get an HD-DVR for DTV in the HD MPEG-4 format. Hopefully there are plans to offer customers such as myself an HD-DVR receiver capable of receiving the MPEG-4 HD broadcasts.

Also the press release stated a new dish would be needed to receive these MPEG-4 LIL channels. I currently have two dishes with my DTV system. One dual LNB and one triple LNB and am set-up for HD by simply purchasing a HD receiver. Does this mean I will need a third separate dish for the MPEG-4 broadcast???? If so that is a shame.

Please advise on these issues as this could affect my future decisions to continue as a customer.

Thank You

01/14/2005 05:55 PM

Dear Michael,

Thanks for your interest in DIRECTV’s announcements from the 2005 Consumer Electronics Show (CES). I understand your concerns about how this new technology will affect you and while I do not have specifics at this time, we are working out all of the details for the new technology and equipment. We will be able to provide more information soon so please stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest information and news about our services.

Sincerely,

Andrea
DIRECTV Customer Service

You should have bought the current system to be in line for a free or cheap current user upgrade. Once any new dish is rolled out it will replace the 2 you use now.

I can only assume you have the 2nd standard dish in addition to the PhaseIII dish because you have one independent local on a non-standard satellite location?

It's also not any "lack of response" on D* CSR end, they truly DO NOT know. Major technical upgrades like this one haven't even been formally rolled out; just press release stuff. They have NO details to give any of us. Everything you hear and read is speculation at best until D* rolls out a formal policy/service change.

Hey, you need to contact the corporate programming offices in LA at:

(310) 964-4555

(310) 964-4188

They know more about what's going on than anyone else would.

Mtnmike said:
The following exchange reference their latest announcements tells me they have yet to make any official announcements as to how they will address these issues. Any other thoughts??? :eek:

To Direct TV,

I read with interest DTV's recent press release concerning its switch to MPEG4 for LIL HD with the two satellite launches this year.

I was planning to purchase the Hughes 10-250 HD-DVR and sign up for DTV's HD package in May. However, if I read the press release correctly it appears the HD-DVR 10-250 and all other HD receivers will be incapable of receiving MPEG-4. Since this renders these expensive receivers obsolete, I have put my decision to upgrade on hold until I know for certain what if any HD-DVR receiver's will be offered by DTV that are compatible with this new technology.

I would be very upset if I spent hundreds of dollars for a current HD-DVR (Hughes 10-250) only to find it obsolete in the months ahead. What does the short-term future hold for me to get an HD-DVR for DTV in the HD MPEG-4 format. Hopefully there are plans to offer customers such as myself an HD-DVR receiver capable of receiving the MPEG-4 HD broadcasts.

Also the press release stated a new dish would be needed to receive these MPEG-4 LIL channels. I currently have two dishes with my DTV system. One dual LNB and one triple LNB and am set-up for HD by simply purchasing a HD receiver. Does this mean I will need a third separate dish for the MPEG-4 broadcast???? If so that is a shame.

Please advise on these issues as this could affect my future decisions to continue as a customer.

Thank You

01/14/2005 05:55 PM

Dear Michael,

Thanks for your interest in DIRECTV’s announcements from the 2005 Consumer Electronics Show (CES). I understand your concerns about how this new technology will affect you and while I do not have specifics at this time, we are working out all of the details for the new technology and equipment. We will be able to provide more information soon so please stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest information and news about our services.

Sincerely,

Andrea
DIRECTV Customer Service

or we could take that letter for what it is, My best guess is they dont know whats going to happen, they are working on it, and we will know soon, I am sure (100%) that they are not going to leave people buying expensive stuff just to be useless in two months, please name one time this company has done this. Directv is working on their rollout it will take time, but we have to give that to them, at least they are working on it..so bottom line, if I were you I would wait, give them some time, see what happens, Just because a press release got out dosent mean they have all the answers yet, and I dont figure they will until sometime this summer!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts