Dual HD Tuner Receiver?

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
Have there been any rumors of a dual HD tuner receiver any time in the near future? I'm considering the purchase of a 2nd HDTV for my bedroom, but would prefer to hold out for the dual tuner so I don't need a seperate receiver in that room.

Not likely due to DRM issues.

I think what Jim5506 is trying to say here is that:

1) There is a problem cabling from a D* receiver to an HDTV in another room (probably not impossible, just difficult)

2) While the obvious solution might be to have an ATSC (off-air HDTV) transmitter in the D* receiver, to send to the 2nd TV

3) Since there are recorders that can grab an ATSC signal, without copy protection

4) E* probably won't supply a 2-tuner HDTV receiver for some time, at least until they can come up with some way to deal with this situation.

I think that's what Jim5506 meant by "DRM issues"--DRM meaning "digital rights management", which is a euphemism for copy protection.

1) There is a problem cabling from a D* receiver to an HDTV in another room (probably not impossible, just difficult)

2) While the obvious solution might be to have an ATSC (off-air HDTV) transmitter in the D* receiver, to send to the 2nd TV

3) Since there are recorders that can grab an ATSC signal, without copy protection

4) E* probably won't supply a 2-tuner HDTV receiver for some time, at least until they can come up with some way to deal with this situation.

I think that's what Jim5506 meant by "DRM issues"--DRM meaning "digital rights management", which is a euphemism for copy protection.

#2 is the solution, but you can't encypt that signal without having another box to decrypt the signal at the 2nd HDTV.

#3 the difference is those recorders can not record in hd, they downconvert the recordings to 480I.

#4 should probably be a dual hd output receiver as they currently supply a 3 tuner hd receiver it can only output a single hd stream.

As long as the tv studios have anything to say in the matter, were are going to need an hd receiver on each tv. Were lucky they haven't stopped us from even using a hard drive to record and store content on.

Don't know, but my nephew works over there and says that they are working on a receiver that will go to the four tv's. Don't know when or how, but I am in the same boat. Just bought a 37 LCD for the bedroom and want a 211 back there, however don't want to install a switch to run the third receiver. Thought about running cable back there for HD and that is what I will probably do.

It's also a euphamism for efforts of content companies to steal from consumers by taking their fair use rights. :mad:

Don't know, but my nephew works over there and says that they are working on a receiver that will go to the four tv's. Don't know when or how, but I am in the same boat. Just bought a 37 LCD for the bedroom and want a 211 back there, however don't want to install a switch to run the third receiver. Thought about running cable back there for HD and that is what I will probably do.

Ah, the mythical 4 tuner box. That's been talked about for years. Maybe someday it will become a reality.

actually ATSC signal does support DRM.. there's a flag they send to notify dvr's that it's a no-no to record this feed or it tells it how long it can be stored for.. if it can be played back multiple times.. etc... etc..

EDIT: See my useless knowledge of pointless information comes in handy some times..

Broadcast flag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks to the EFF, use of the so-called "broadcast flag" has been stopped through the courts. Now if we can get some favorable verdicts on this HDCP crap when it comes to satellite and cable boxes, and HD/Blu Ray.

I'd personally like to see a receiver with an HDMI output for each tuner, or even better, one with a standard HDMI out for TV1 and a built in balun for HDMI over CAT5e for the second (or more) tuner. E* could then sell the far-end balun to go with it. Unless the installer was going to use diplexers, why would it make any difference to the installer whether he was running CAT5e/CAT6 or RG6 for the TV2 feed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)