Dual Hopper Intergration (From Team Summit)

It is much better to have the simple solution out early than it would be if they delayed it a year working on the complete solution.

Well, since Dish is mostly installing 1 Hopper setups, they really haven't dropped the ball on anything (yet.) The integration of the Joeys and Hoppers is seemless with 1 Hopper. Us, being mostly power users on this forum, of course we want more, but according to Dish, the vast majority do not have more than one Hopper. So we should be thankful that Dish is doing anything at all about the dual Hopper integration so soon.

I don't know about you... But I would rather successful baby steps than one giant disaster step.

Agreed.

Why not make both a three and six tuner hopper? Use a three tuner hopper in most setups. If a three tuner hopper is not enough then the six tuner hopper can be used. A six tuner hopper can be a upgrade to the three tuner hopper.

I know a six tuner hopper will cost more to manufacturer, but the quantity of six tuner hoppers manufactured will be a lot less then three tuner hoppers.

Agreed.

cave1376 said:
Why not make both a three and six tuner hopper? Use a three tuner hopper in most setups. If a three tuner hopper is not enough then the six tuner hopper can be used. A six tuner hopper can be a upgrade to the three tuner hopper.

I know a six tuner hopper will cost more to manufacturer, but the quantity of six tuner hoppers manufactured will be a lot less then three tuner hoppers.

Dish is all about simplification now. Hopper and Joey. Not XiP833 and XiP110. Duo HD DVR not ViP722. They are dumbing things down to bring in more customers. How confusing is the TiVo situation right now? I'm pretty tech savvy and I couldn't tell you which TiVo models are which.

Dustin,

From a support standpoint it makes perfect sense.

Try to shrink down the SKUs in the field long term isn't a bad idea and ultimately you lower your support costs.

If it's easier to install your cost to acquire a new customer.

They are both good things.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think that adding a "Super Hopper" or whatever would complicate things too much. No more than having to have 2 Hoppers to get 6 tuners anyway...

I personally prefer the way dish will be integrating the hoppers. We have 2 hoppers. One in the living room that I use for recording all my shows and another in the bedroom that my wife has been using for her shows. I personally don't want to wade through "my DVR" having to deal with episodes of Nancy Grace, America's Next Top Model, and Gray's Anatomy. It will be nice to watch a show recorded on one hopper and actually watch it on the other hopper if we want to. But I would prefer not to deal with her recordings and she feels the same way about mine.

But it is integration for most people who WATCH TV. ;)

We are NOT your normal customer.
I think you're exactly wrong here. This is the opposite of integration for "normal" customers. What they demo'd for you is what "we" could cope with. "We" can conceptualize where our Hoppers are, where our Joeys are, and diagram it all out in our heads where we might have a conflict before setting a timer.

True seamless integration where it appears that timers are shared, recordings list is shared, etc, would be true integration for the "normal" customer.

I personally prefer the way dish will be integrating the hoppers. We have 2 hoppers. One in the living room that I use for recording all my shows and another in the bedroom that my wife has been using for her shows. I personally don't want to wade through "my DVR" having to deal with episodes of Nancy Grace, America's Next Top Model, and Gray's Anatomy. It will be nice to watch a show recorded on one hopper and actually watch it on the other hopper if we want to. But I would prefer not to deal with her recordings and she feels the same way about mine.

Quite honestly I feel the same way. When I got the second Hopper I moved my kids onto Joeys onto that Hopper so that they would stop cluttering up my DVR with their Junk and also they were recording so much they were using all my tuners so when I wanted to watch live TV I couldn't.

Adding the second Hopper eliminated this problem.

With this first step in integration now my kids can watch their shows in the family room (which is linked to my Hopper not theirs) or anywhere else in the house.

I like it. I would rather have it this way then show everything that is recorded on both Hoppers.

Yep I personally prefer having multiple Hoppers, as I put both of my Hoppers on isolators, because I don't care about the stuff everyone else is recording. However for those that want it, a 6-tuner Hopper would be neat. Or hell why not 2 6 tuner Hoppers? ;)

Yup that is exactly what it is... A start.

It does not mean they are done with integration at all.

First step is making it do people can view their programs from all hoppers anywhere in their house. I am shocked and amazed how much progress they have made on this box since it has come out on March 15th!

I agree Scott... I am glad they are focused on one box and code base now. It will make things much better. I am happy to see the auto hop, etc... They are indeed rolling out software fast. When they do get Hopper integration to the point it is 100% seamless, I will be adding another Hopper. I knew what I was getting into when I got the box and I have been VERY happy. Dish is rolling out software faster than ever, so I really feel like this is a LONG TERM box for them.

I would imagine the Legacy receivers are done getting anything but major bug fixes.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Quite honestly I feel the same way. When I got the second Hopper I moved my kids onto Joeys onto that Hopper so that they would stop cluttering up my DVR with their Junk and also they were recording so much they were using all my tuners so when I wanted to watch live TV I couldn't.

Adding the second Hopper eliminated this problem.

With this first step in integration now my kids can watch their shows in the family room (which is linked to my Hopper not theirs) or anywhere else in the house.

I like it. I would rather have it this way then show everything that is recorded on both Hoppers.

I have mixed feelings. I like the idea of not having to wade through the garbage my wife watches, but I also liked being able to "borrow" a tuner from her if needed.

dustinw82 said:
I have mixed feelings. I like the idea of not having to wade through the garbage my wife watches, but I also liked being able to "borrow" a tuner from her if needed.

I think the easiest solution is to make the integrated DVR listings a toggle that users can select or deselect. Toggle set to "on" and you have one list with everything from both Hoppers. Toggle set to "off" and you have each Hoppers' recordings separated and select the Hopper you want to see via drop down. That should keep both sides happy.

King, I agree with you. Actually, the functionality WAS possible at release. The Joey came with that functionality at release. Joeys can already see and access multiple Hoppers. What was the delay in adding the same technology to the Hoppers?

Right. I'm just kind of surprised it has taken them this long to give it to us if this was all they were doing. I understood the delay when I thought it was going to be true integration. It seems like this much functionality should have been possible at release.

It appears to me you can, you just need to switch hoppers

King, I agree with you. Actually, the functionality WAS possible at release. The Joey came with that functionality at release. Joeys can already see and access multiple Hoppers. What was the delay in adding the same technology to the Hoppers?

Apparently it wasn't ready and needed more programming to work correctly. Why would they sit on it, othewise? I'm very happy that they didn't wait to release the boxes. I will also be happy when they release this interim step without waiting for the ultimate end game. With my current setup using an extra Joey to look at the other Hopper (switching HDMI inputs), I am suggesting that having separate drop down menu access may be the best solution, after all, especially if at some point it is as fast as my HDMI switch and they add intelligent resource allocation and subfolders. Even using title folders I find that combining recordings in one place might be too cluttered.

I would like to hear someone expand on this. Isn't the amount of clutter just proportional to how many recordings a person has on their DVR? 50 recordings are 50 recordings, regardless of whether they are spread across one Hopper or two. The only thing I can think is that Dish was developing a new DVR listing that showed everything in one display, but still had all recordings separated by Hopper within that display?

Regardless, this should be an option. the drop down box should should show "Combined" at the top, and each individual hopper below that. Let each person choose. Also, implementing tags (as opposed to folders) for organization would make it easier to filter the list down.

I said that very thing when it was still a concept not released yet. To me a 6 tuner hopper with a dual tuner ota module like the 722k/922 has today , would provide everyone with what they want. One big hopper that can record 4 PTAT + 5 sat tuners+ 2ota tuners = 11 channels at a time could be recorded and it would all be integrated from the beginning. No wait for 2 hopper integration . They could of released this from the beginning and saved everyone the Drama and aggravation. After all Directv has released a 5 tuner dvr , why couldn't DISH?

I said that very thing when it was still a concept not released yet. To me a 6 tuner hopper with a dual tuner ota module like the 722k/922 has today , would provide everyone with what they want. One big hopper that can record 4 PTAT + 5 sat tuners+ 2ota tuners = 11 channels at a time could be recorded and it would all be integrated from the beginning. No wait for 2 hopper integration . They could of released this from the beginning and saved everyone the Drama and aggravation. After all Directv has released a 5 tuner dvr , why couldn't DISH?

You don't get it. 2 Hoppers are designed to give you 6 satellite tuners and 2 OTA tuners with the SAME hardware that they use for those that don't need all that. Just because they didn't wait to release the boxes until EVERYTHING was ready, doesn't mean they didn't release a d*** fine system to start with. Dish's motivation and design theory are clearly different than yours, but it works just as well, AND I'll bet, in the long run, it will be better for Dish and their customers.

They couldn't release more than 3 tuners in the receiver since that's all the node limited them to. They didn't go with the same technology that directv did with 8 tuners in one coax plus networking, they went with the cheaper route of just 3 in the coax.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

They couldn't release more than 3 tuners in the receiver since that's all the node limited them to. They didn't go with the same technology that directv did with 8 tuners in one coax plus networking, they went with the cheaper route of just 3 in the coax.

It would require 2 cables like the old 921 used to require before DPP.

Doesn't the dual node do up to 6 tuners now? I thought it was needed if you had two hoppers on your account? IF so it would mean tweaking the node to work with one hopper with 6 tuners rather than two hoppers with 3 tuners each. Still comes out to 6 tuners, but my way it would all be one hopper rather than two. THe MEGA HOPPER.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)