Dual market coverage

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NYDutch

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 28, 2013
Where our wheels go
We relocated our RV to Pownal, VT yesterday, and as usual, I asked Dish to change our service address so we would get the appropriate local channels for the area. When the change kicked in, I was surprised to see that we're getting full 5 network reception from both the Albany, NY and Burlington, VT markets. That's two stations each for ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and PBS. There's actually a third NBC listing in the EPG from Hartford, VT, but it appears to just be a repeater for the Burlington NBC station. I've never seen full dual market coverage like this before. Does anyone know of any other areas that have similar station coverage?

I think "something happened" when the CSR switched your locals; ie: they didn't get the old ones turned off on your account. I've heard of this happening in the past...

I've seen it happen where the locals don't change with the service address, but not with one set of locals turned on and the other not turned off.

Our previous locals were the Roanoke, VA market. Try putting in the Pownal, VT zip, 05261, at this link to see what locals it says we should be getting here:

DISH - Local Channels by ZIP

Surprised?

I do need to correct one part, we're only getting PBS from the Albany market, not Burlington as well.

I am not sure that Burlington is a separate DMA---or that Pownal is in it.. If I recall correctly though there was some special traetment given to VT in the last few satellite authorization bills giving Burlington stations to the whole state.

Reactions: pattykay
Ahh! Thanks Geronimo! That thread explains it all, and now I know it is indeed a rare situation...

I think I'll just leave our service address where it is when we move over to the southern Adirondacks in NY in a few days then. Otherwise we'd be in the Albany market only there. Our location there will still be well within the same spot beams. The network programming is all the same in both markets of course, but the variations in local content do offer some different choices.

Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts