Dual Mode watch different channel while recording

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

goldendish

Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Earth
I just switched to Dish Network after 10 years with Directv. I am frustrated that when I am recording two HD programs I only can watch the one that is on TV1. Why is this? Why can't I watch either program? This is very frustrating when the show on TV2 is the one I would like to watch even though I am recording it. Is their a way to fix this?

Press the DVR button twice and select the TV2 recording from the list. Currently recording programs are always at the top of this list.

I think this comes back to the point I had been making for quite some time: Dish is disingenuous about how the "2 TV install" for their dual tuner DVR's result in each room/person only having ONE tuner. Of course, this is cheaper for Dish, but I have come across a great many people who are in the OP's situation and believed they were getting "single mode" 2 tuner experience in each room or for each person. Furthermore, these folks said they would have paid the additional upgrade amount (a nominal fee) for such an install. However, even with the good consumer priced upgrade, Dish's cost go up and Dish loses more $$.

It is sad. Dish should really make it clear what the experience will be with "2 TV install" for the dual tuner product. With my 2 aunts, I had to explain to each what they would be getting if they only got 1 dual tuner box. One aunt was fine with the 2 TV install allowing her only 1 tuner and her roommate the other tuner. My other aunt didn't like that scenario at all, and she wanted the 2nd box so that she had her own 2 tuners and her husband his own 2 tuners--no conflicts.

Dish, just explain this to people and let them decide because what you are doing now is just pissing people off because they feel cheated with the one box for 2 TV install in Dual Mode. Do you really want angry, frustrated customers who feel Dish systems stink. I have a co-worker who got rid of Dish for just this reason, and she tells the whole office how with Dish they can only share a DVR and they were miserable with only 1 tuner in the living room and 1 tuner for the rest of the family. Good going, Dish.

I think this comes back to the point I had been making for quite some time: Dish is disingenuous about how the "2 TV install" for their dual tuner DVR's result in each room/person only having ONE tuner. Of course, this is cheaper for Dish, but I have come across a great many people who are in the OP's situation and believed they were getting "single mode" 2 tuner experience in each room or for each person. Furthermore, these folks said they would have paid the additional upgrade amount (a nominal fee) for such an install. However, even with the good consumer priced upgrade, Dish's cost go up and Dish loses more $$.

It is sad. Dish should really make it clear what the experience will be with "2 TV install" for the dual tuner product. With my 2 aunts, I had to explain to each what they would be getting if they only got 1 dual tuner box. One aunt was fine with the 2 TV install allowing her only 1 tuner and her roommate the other tuner. My other aunt didn't like that scenario at all, and she wanted the 2nd box so that she had her own 2 tuners and her husband his own 2 tuners--no conflicts.

Dish, just explain this to people and let them decide because what you are doing now is just pissing people off because they feel cheated with the one box for 2 TV install in Dual Mode. Do you really want angry, frustrated customers who feel Dish systems stink. I have a co-worker who got rid of Dish for just this reason, and she tells the whole office how with Dish they can only share a DVR and they were miserable with only 1 tuner in the living room and 1 tuner for the rest of the family. Good going, Dish.

Dish,

While I agree I would not like to operate a Dish DUO DVR in Dual Mode. I like the fact that Dish gives subscribers an option to use it in either Single or Dual Mode.

Lastly and more importantly Dish decided to continue to offer a HD DVR with an OTA TUNER. I love my 722k. I can record 2 Local OTA signals and two Satellite delivered channels at the same time, or any variation of using 4 tuners from one receiver. This something that Cable can't offer and DirecTV no longer manufactures a HD DVR with an OTA tuner. Again if a subscriber gets a 722k and operates it in Dual mode, a subscriber will have 2 tuners per TV output (one OTA and one satellite tuner).

In the end this comes down to prospective subscribers not really properly researching their options. I really don't have much sympathy for people that later regret their decision that was not well thought out.

In the current economic climate I understand people are trying to pinching pennies, since this is the case why not properly understand the situation you are signing up for. I always thoroughly research and agonize over most every purchase, sadly this is not the case for the average person.

John

I never thought I was getting 2 tuners for each room at the same time. That comes down to not researching what you're getting if you think that. And I've never heard that kind of talk advertised either.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the view that it is the fault of the potential subscriber not "researching" as you good folks are savvy techies. My point is that, and I have heard CSR's on the phone NOT make it clear, that people are led to believe that they are getting a single mode experience for each room as when customers try to clarify what they are getting, CSR's reassure any concerns by saying, "Oh, one DVR will work for 2 rooms and it has 2 tuners." "Yes, you can record one channel and watch a different channel at the same time." This is technically correct, and not a lie, but we know what it implies, and the disadvantage of this install is never disclosed, save for a few really caring CSR's.

Remember, the vast majority of kind citizens don't understand the technicalities of sat technology and installations. We all know of the CSR's who have stated that TV2 will be in HD and and so forth. You can't expect more than good questioning from the consumer with bogus info coming from disingenuous or ignorant CSR's and even installers/technicians. Dish does NOT go into to details nor does it, one would think, attempt to get a potential subscriber to "trade-up" and pay the nominal fee that would give each room a single mode, 2 tuner experience because Dish loses more money with each additional installation of a box. Dish has no interest in making it clear nor encouraging a potential customer to pay an upgrade for an additional box--even with the new monthly equipment fees--as it would make their cost of acquiring customers even less appealing to Wall Street.

Please, have some understanding for good folks who are doing pretty much what the rest of us do outside our realm of knowledge--you have never been mis-led and disappointed as a consumer even after your "research" and questioning outside your realm of great technical knowledge? Please spare us the insincere "No" answer to that one; we're all human and have been "stuck" by service providers--and do our best to communicate our needs and wants and asking all the possible questions we can think of for every possible contingency. The OP is NOT wrong on this one, Dish is, again. Can we really expect every potential Dish customer to discover this forum for an issue that should be made plain as day to anyone interested in Dish DVR services.

Last edited:
I just switched to Dish Network after 10 years with Directv. I am frustrated that when I am recording two HD programs I only can watch the one that is on TV1. Why is this? Why can't I watch either program? This is very frustrating when the show on TV2 is the one I would like to watch even though I am recording it. Is their a way to fix this?

You can let it record for a minute or two and then start watching it as if it were already recorded (it will be in your list of recordings)

Or

What I did was hook up the tv2 output to my tv1. Now I can use the input button on my tv remote to watch either tv1 or tv2. The only down side is you have to have the tv2 remote if you want to change channels.

Another advantage to doing this is if you have your tv hooked up like this, with both tv1 and tv2 going into tv1, you can use your tv's remote to do Picture in Picture with the receiver in dual mode. Again you'll need both remotes if you want to change channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)