Dual Quad Question

macksol

Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Hi this is my first post. I have been reading this forum and I know I have come to the right place. Here is my question.
I have a dish 500 system with 2 dual lnb's and 2 sw21 switches. I have 2 receivers, 508 and and older 4500. I want to eliminate the 4500 and go to a dual tuner receiver and keep the 508. In order to do this I believe I can switch to a quad lnb, but which one, a legacy or a dish pro? My 500 upgrade was done by dish network 2 years ago. I believe I have a legacy system.
Is there any way I can tell? and would this hook up work? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!!!

Hi, welcome to sat guys!

Yes, a dish pro quad will work nicely. If you're ditching the 4500, then the 508 and the dual tuner you're adding (a 522?) will work fine with the pro quad.

Thanks for the quick response. I knew I came to the right place. So the dish pro quad will do it and a legacy quad won't? What is the difference? (besides cost?)

A legacy will also work. The dish pro is newer technology, I'm not exactly sure what's the difference besides the quad probably is designed to work with certain switches.

Legacy uses voltage to change, Dish Pro uses frequency. They both will work on DP IRD's but Legacy will only work with Legacy IRD's. Both should cost about the same. I have some used ones if you are intersted, PM me.

DishPro you can run up to 200' away...Legacy says 100' (but Ive seen it run farther)

DishPro is easier to work with multiple dish setups (Dish500 and a wing)

Dave nye said:
They both will work on DP IRD's but Legacy will only work with Legacy IRD's.
But isn't Legacy part of "both"? ;) As you say in the first part, DP IRDs can use DP or legacy LNB/switches. What you're trying to say in the second part is Legacy IRDs can only be used directly with Legacy LNB/switches and require a DP adapter when connected to DP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts