Dual Tuner Receiver from Direct?

Tomboy257

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Here & Now
Had a salesperson stop me in Sam's Club the other day trying to sell me Directv. When I mentioned their lack of a dual tuner receiver he said to just wait. Are they coming out with their own to compete with Dish?

What do you mean "Dual Tuner"? Recording two things at once? Then Yes, DirecTV DVRs can do that. If you mean one DVR being able to feed two TVs? then no.

DirecTV does have MRV in testing.

Sorry i didn't make myself clear. I meant "dual tuner" like the 222. I'm aware of there DVRs.

That statement didn't clarify anything. I think you mean "Dual [Discrete] Output."

How's this for size, though; eight outputs. The HR24 is the industry's first RVU compliant Satellite DVR. It will have somewhere between four and eight tuners, and will work with a special RVU multiswitch that is sort of a combination of an SWM mutiswitch and a home ethernet switch. To connect an RVU TV (Samsung and Sony are both members), all you have to do is run coax from the TV to the multiswitch, and that single coax will carry a high-speed (HD) Video-IP connection between the TV, multiswitch, and HR24 receiver. Not only will the TV display the DirecTV interface, but it'll command one of the HR24's tuners directly, nevermind display the HR24's recorded events.

It's crazy hot, and I'd be surprised if Dish comes out with anything that directly competes. Dish seems to be focused on these ad-hoc solutions, as opposed to DirecTV who's fully centralizing the DVR.

What is the purpose of this question? As of Feb 1st there is virtually no savings on dual tuner receivers. The 222 that you specifdically mention is HD on only one output and SD on tuner 2. Directv offers SD receivers FREE to new customers. Each H-2X HDTV receiver from Directv has HDTV outputs and cosy $5 for additional lease fees.

Is there the 5 buck charge on the 1st receiver if a dual tuner? For fun I went to the dish site and created a new setup to see

Only extra fee I see is a 6.00 DVR charge. No mention of the additional 5.00 2nd tuner fee.

Is dish hiding this fee or is it included on the 1st one?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 301
Nope, the first (in my case only) receiver is included regardless how many tuners or outputs it has.

Only thing on my bill is the programming and the $6 DVR fee.

Regarding the HR24, until it's available it's just as much vaporware as the old Dish 777. Anybody remember that one?

What is the purpose of this question? As of Feb 1st there is virtually no savings on dual tuner receivers. The 222 that you specifdically mention is HD on only one output and SD on tuner 2.

I take the tuner with me in my RV. I am able to handle both TVs without major mods to the RV TV setup.

If Directv comes out with dual tuner receivers like Dish Network has, they will charge just as much as Dish Network does unless they want to be competitive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)