Dual & Twin LNB

Tomboy257

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Here & Now
Am I right in believing that Dish LNBs are called twin because they can see two sats at the same time, and are dual LNBs because they can handle different programming on dfferent TVs?

Yes, you are correct.

Twin = receives from two orbital satellite locations

Dual = outputs to two satellite receivers / tuners.

Tomboy257 said:
Am I right in believing that Dish LNBs are called twin because they can see two sats at the same time,
Basically yes, though it isn't "an LNB." All versions of the Twin and Quad contain *2* LNBs and an internal switch.
and are dual LNBs because they can handle different programming on dfferent TVs?
A Dual LNB sees only one satellite. In a single-satellite system like Dish was when it started, the 2 outputs did allow 2 tuners to get different programming. As systems grew past 2 tuners and/or added a satellite, the (legacy) LNB had to be connected to a switch, with one LNB output being locked to odd transponders and the other to evens.

More discussion on the naming is at EKB: What's this Twin LNBF I've heard about?

A dual lnb sees one ORBITAL satellite LOCATION as there could be more than one satellite at each location but some people refer each orbital location such as 119 for example as a satellite. These were found on the first dishes that came out which were later named Dish 300. The Dish 500 (to see two orbital satellite locations) is where the twins were first introduced to replace the first version that had two duals paired with an sw-21 switch. Later they came out with a Dish 500 twin with the two duals and switch built in together. The first Dish 1000 (to see three orbital satellite locations) they came out used a DPP twin along with a dual DP lnb with the switch being built into the DPP twin lnb. Later they created the current 1000.2 dish with all three lnb's built in together.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)