Dumped DISH 622 and went with FIOS !!!

I did figure in the Tivo costs, but even at less than $9 per month each (though I think my 2nd will be less), I am still ahead given that my home phone is at around $50 per month for very basic service and the Internet access would be $40 per month. Dish would have a really hard time competing with that. I will miss the remote on the 522. I wasn't overawed during my brief time playing with my new Tivo. Though I did want to have it ready when I get Fios so I can just start with the CableCard.

Brad

The Movie pack at $12.99/month includes Showtime HD , TMC HD and STARZ HD. Plus gives you access to all the VOD content from each of them. Thats a darn good deal!

Yeah, that is a good deal, but I somebody on here said HBO and Max are $25.99... yikes!

I currently pay $10/month for HBO/Max on a grandfathered in special with BHN.

Showtime, JUST SHOWTIME, costs me $12.99/month with BHN.

I pay $12.99/month for Starz with Dish Network.

So yeah, The movie pack is a good deal but it sounds like Verizon rapes you with HBO/Max.

My biggest issues with Dish were:
1) upfront cost for receivers
2) compromised PQ as more and more channels added
3) maintaining ugly dish farm on roof

OTOH, I really liked the 622 interface. But, I'm a very happy FIOS TV subscriber going on 3 months. The new 2.0 IMG is a work in progress, but I have no doubt Verizon wants to make it right. What's most important for me is PQ - it sets the standard for me. An acid test: there is absolutely no difference in PQ between OTA HD and the corrisponding channel on FIOS. And SD on FIOS looks terrific.

My biggest issues with Dish were:
1) upfront cost for receivers
2) compromised PQ as more and more channels added
3) maintaining ugly dish farm on roof

OTOH, I really liked the 622 interface. But, I'm a very happy FIOS TV subscriber going on 3 months. The new 2.0 IMG is a work in progress, but I have no doubt Verizon wants to make it right. What's most important for me is PQ - it sets the standard for me. An acid test: there is absolutely no difference in PQ between OTA HD and the corrisponding channel on FIOS. And SD on FIOS looks terrific.

Do they come take down the dish farm when you cancel?

I was told that if I cancel they want the receivers back and that the dishes stay. If I move I get new dishes and the first move is free to be hooked up. They want you to leave the dishes for the next possible resident. If and when I cancel, I want mine down whether they come and get it or I have to tear it down myself. What is their policy on that? Are they going to try to tell me I have to leave it the way Verizon and other companies tell you to leave the box on the side of your home?

I am not having a dish farm (2 dishes in my case) on my roof when I leave them one day.

We were recommended by several people (non-dish) to leave the dishes on the roof, at least until the next time we reroof the house. No need to leave a possible leak point where you remove bolts into the roof. It will look a bit tacky, but who will know or really care?

I just want Fios to finally turn the service on in the neighborhood. I haven't seen any trucks this week, but it is still not enabled.... The wait is really annoying.

Brad

You can still take the ugly dishes off the roof and not expose the roof to leaks by just leaving the mounting plate attached to the roof.

After I switched to fios, I looked thru the local pennysaver and found a "cable guy" who for $75 took down both my dishes and my squareshooter antenna (soon to be on ebay :)). He even sealed the edges of the mounting plate with silicone just to be sure.

I just found out that Verizon is in the process of installing FiOS in my city, to be completed in about 3 years (????). One thing I would like to know about FiOS is do they pass through the entire ATSC broadcast channel with subchannels intact, or do they only pass the primary channel as Dish does? There are some subchannels here in the LA area that I find useful from time to time.

From what I can tell, relevant subchannels are on different channels here. We don't get the multiple weather channels, but we do get the ones that are "meaningful" it seems.

Brad

Just a warning to you guys thinking about switching:

1. Many of us have had billing nightmares on several occasions
2. Customer service is really bad... more of a lack of knowledge than anything IMO
3. The DVR hard drive is small and HD eats it up FAST
4. We have no clue if we will ever get a lot more HD channels like you see with the sat's right now; Verizon is mum on anything down the pike
5. The new software some states have gotten has been yet another nightmare and no clue when the rest of us will get it (and we may not want it!)

I just thought I'd put in a warning from my perspective... oh, and the low prices you see don't include good ol' Telco this and that's added to the final bill, so add maybe another $10. Anyone sees it different, feel free to chime in. Just wanted to share what I've experienced so you can weigh it out all around.

Agreed on every point you made mindgrind. But for me FiOS is still a great value. Awesome PQ, Great movie pack and VOD, Decent DVR with the ability to interface with Tivo, fast internet, reliable phone and savings of about $12/mo are keeping me a customer.

Yep, great PQ, movie pack is a good deal as long as you don't want HBO, I still am waiting for HD VOD, and I actually don't mind the DVR as much as others complain about... just grass is just starting to look a LOT greener on the other side.

I suppose if you are willing to put up (and apparently I have for quite a while) with the things I listed, you will be quite happy... just want people to know the negatives of what they may be getting in to.

I think I would go with the HD Tivo myself if I were to switch because of all the negative things people have said about the Verizon boxes. The upfront costs are giving me some heartburn though. Since I am not planning on staying at my current address for more than another year or two I will probably stick with Dish.

When will S.I. NYC get FIOS

I have FIOS internet and phone service. Love it, have no problems with it. I have Dish/622 for tv. Had Dish for 5yrs now. Love it. Does anyone know when FIOS TV will be available for S.I., NY? they keep running commercials for it, then you call and ask them and they say soon. I heard that it has to do with Mayor Bloomberg and Cable Vision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts