Dune (2020)

IMHO, some things are just “unfilmable”. This is one of them.

This is the third try, all by quality people with lots of money. Not counting several aborted other attempts.

If you have read the books then you can find enjoyment in seeing scenes on video that you have read about. However a person with no knowledge of the novels is just going to see a confused series of seemingly unrelated events.

I remember going to the movies to see the 1984 movie and the ticket taker was handing out a 8 1/2 by 14 “guide” with small print on both sides of stuff you had to already know to understand the movie.

Reactions: Foxbat and TheKrell
I had intended to reread the book but never got around to it. Eventually.....

The opening credit, Dune Part 1, shows this was intended to be multiple movies. I agree with other comments that waiting 2 years for the next installment is awful. Think maybe they are shooting themselves in the foot with this strategy.

The Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos are awesome. I enjoyed it overall. I do think it might have been more difficult to follow it you aren't already familiar with the story.

How many will even remember 2 years from now?

3 movies to cover the original trilogy of novels...makes sense. 2 years apart is a bit extreme though, I agree...
Except the first movie only makes it roughly halfway through the first novel. And yeah, two years between movies will be hard to take. If they re-released Part 1 a fortnight before Part 2, that would be a nice touch.

:D The 1984 version has an extended cut that's close to 3 hours...
2 hours and 56 minutes, I just watched that when I was flying 3 weeks ago ( made a rip off the DVD to go on my Pro), it is awful but more watchable then the current one, it is also easier to follow the story, maybe because we can hear every character’s thoughts to help explain the story.

Reactions: Foxbat
Watched again last night with my ladyfriend at her request. She normally doesn't care for Science Fiction but she said she really enjoyed it. Caught a few things I didn't notice the first time through so worth a second watch. Her system doesn't do Dolby Vision or Atmos so I did miss that.

The two year wait is a serious mistake.

Reactions: Foxbat
The studios don't like risk, especially on epic-sized movies like Dune, so they likely wanted to see how it does at the box office before they green-lit part 2. Otherwise, if they know a movie sequel will do well, they'll often green-light filming consequently or concurrently (such as Back To The Future, Parts 2 and 3)...

Reactions: mdonnelly
Just got done watching it. Thought it was well done for the most part. Some quibbles here and there. Some of the casting (for me) was a bit off (Paul Atreides needed to be played by someone more mature, IMO). Having read all the books, (and Dune itself 3 times in my life), I thought part 1 was done well, and pretty faithful to the book. Some parts were glossed over too quickly though (why spice is important to the Guild Navigators and space travel in general - they just mentioned it as a sort of aside), other areas done well. The worm CGI is just, well, cool. :) The ornithopters were cool too.

I'm looking forward to part 2 and would hope they do make it as they only got about halfway through the first book in this movie...

Reactions: TheKrell and Foxbat
And part 2 is delayed. From WSJ story a few minutes ago:

The delays to “Dune: Part Two,” “Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire” and “Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim,” all films that are largely finished, underscores the important roles that writers and actors play in promoting films for studios. In a statement, Warner Bros. said that in the case of “Dune: Part Two” the studio had decided to “delay the release to a time when the film’s global cast and filmmaking team are more likely able to support it promotionally.”

No hint of a new date but I assume not until the strikes are over.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
And part 2 is delayed. From WSJ story a few minutes ago:

No hint of a new date but I assume not until the strikes are over.
Going to be a bad time at theaters this Fall/Winter.

Disney is planning to do the same with it’s planned releases , I assume the other studios are also.

Reactions: Howard Simmons