Duplicate Locals

WinterWinds

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Atlanta, GA
I didn't see this mentioned elsewhere, so I will ask it here.

We've recently switched to DirecTV and I've noticed that some of the locals are duplicated.

In the Atlanta market, it shows WSB/ABC on both channel 2 (actual channel) and duplicated on 9.
It also shows WXIA/NBC on 11 (actual) and duplicated on 3.
Then WANF/CBS is on 46 (actual) and duplicated on 12.

Both the actual and duplicate channel are in HD.
I have my SD channel duplicates set to hidden in the settings.

Is there a reason for this?

Thanks!!

Those used to be significantly viewed out-of-market locals for some counties, they're no longer available, but instead of removing them completely they just made them duplicates of the in-market station.
WSB 9 used to be WTVC Chattanooga, WXIA 3 used to be WRCB, WANF 12 used to be WDEF.

Those used to be significantly viewed out-of-market locals for some counties, they're no longer available, but instead of removing them completely they just made them duplicates of the in-market station.
WSB 9 used to be WTVC Chattanooga, WXIA 3 used to be WRCB, WANF 12 used to be WDEF.
Goodness gracious, you know your stuff!

Thank you for the quick answer. :)

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
Goodness gracious, you know your stuff!

Thank you for the quick answer. :)
It's also recommended that you take a look at the transponder map. That has every national channel, local channels for ALL cities, as well as channels in *Test mode & more. It's updated every Wednesday morning with the Weekly Analysis as well.
Have fun!

Reactions: WinterWinds
Are you saying that SV channels aren't available anywhere?

well, afaik the only area in the Atlanta DMA where SV channels are available are Randolph and Cleburne counties in Alabama, they get WBRC 6 & WVTM 13 out of Birmingham in addition to all Atlanta stations.
I’m saying SV locals are no longer available in whatever areas got both Chattanooga and Atlanta locals in the Atlanta DMA

I’m not sure how it is for you on stream, but if you still had satellite you’d be also getting WCBS 2, WNBC4, WNYW 5 out of NYC in addition to the CT stations.

Are you saying that SV channels aren't available anywhere?
Perhaps they are still available a little bit closer to the Chattanooga DMA. We currently live about 70-80 miles north of the city (far flung suburb). I know that the Chattanooga DMA includes 5 Georgia counties on the border with Tennessee. The regional cable provider in the area (based in a county in the Atlanta DMA, but services counties in the Chattanooga DMA) has agreements to offer both markets to all of its customers. ( Reference ETC Cable TV Channel Lineup )

Perhaps DirecTV did the same at one point.

When contemplating a service provider, I checked my address with DISH Network and it showed a few out of market locals as well.

But where we're located, we couldn't get locals from either market with an antenna lol

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016