Duplication of locals

billmarc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
central Indiana
I have been just looking at some of the listings of what is on the different satellites and I have noticed a lot of duplication of the locals. One example I picked out (because I am originally from there) is Chicago. The Chicago locals are on both 129 and 61.5. I cannot find the HD feed of WTTW on 61.5. I think both birds have the Chicago stations on spot beams, but I don't think the spots are covering exactly the same areas 100%. Am I missing something? Will they eventually wind up on just one satellite?

I have been just looking at some of the listings of what is on the different satellites and I have noticed a lot of duplication of the locals. One example I picked out (because I am originally from there) is Chicago. The Chicago locals are on both 129 and 61.5. I cannot find the HD feed of WTTW on 61.5. I think both birds have the Chicago stations on spot beams, but I don't think the spots are covering exactly the same areas 100%. Am I missing something? Will they eventually wind up on just one satellite?

Probably not... they will stay on both. They had space up on the beams in that area and it was probably cost efficient in that area since it allowed installers to pick between a EA setup or a WA setup if the customer doesn't have LOS to some of the satellites.

I cannot find the HD feed of WTTW on 61.5. I think both birds have the Chicago stations on spot beams, but I don't think the spots are covering exactly the same areas 100%. Am I missing something?

Yea, WTTW-HD is NOT carried AT ALL by DISH yet...matter of fact, I don't believe DISH carries ANY local HD PBS's yet... ;) ;)

The only extra HD channels I know that Dish carries are all the Tribunes, KTVK, KRON, KICU, WOTV, and WWHO. That does not include digital subchannels but includes anything not part of the core group of local stations. (WOTV is an exception - it's co-owned with WOOD and is one of the market's two ABC affiliates. WZZM and WOTV need to get their act together...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)