DVB-S2 8PSK Jerkiness?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks 1caption. that was very informative. The old 35k lnb I have says US Gold on it. I never heard of that brand. And it has four temp(K) levels on it. 35k, 30k, 25k, 20k. :confused:

The feeds I have trouble with are the feeds on 99w C band 9/10 fec and 103w ku band 5/6 fec. I haven't had a chance to try the ones on g19 yet. I am sure those would pose the same problem.

Not saying that there aren't other issues also like buggy firmware or the receivers hardware simply not be able to handle the video but for an 8PSK signal with 9/10 FEC rate 80 to 90% quality is marginal at best on the Pansat 9000. I own a pansat 9000, so I'm speaking from experience.

The feeds I have trouble with are the feeds on 99w C band 9/10 fec and 103w ku band 5/6 fec. I haven't had a chance to try the ones on g19 yet. I am sure those would pose the same problem.

as far as both sats they play great here on my Pan-9000, we have been watching the ABC-Net-1 this morning for about 2 hours now (wife likes Good Morning A.) and not a glitch, stutter, or skip in the video or audio, with 98-S and 95-Q. as far as the NBC mux's on 103 also not a problem here too, and I have a 1-meter fixed dish just for that sat, now you do know that the 103 sat has a offset skew, right. just last weekend we watch a football game their (103) and very solid video also. as a mater of fact even used the 9000 for the MNF that was a S2 signal that was weak, an it also played it great.

Now I think I know what signal that truckracer is talking about, it was FTV-HD last year when they 1st encrypted that signal but was still ITC, and I had a Pan-9200 & 9000 here at the same time and both had a very hard time playing this video, and out of all of my receivers only 1 played the video fine which was a SV-8000, even the AZ had a problem with it, would play then get scrambled screen then play again, an just kept doing that.

I think you may have one or a few problems and that's why you're getting a stuttering picture, the 1st thing should be the dish to look at for signal and a noise factor, remember both of these feeds are a S2 and you're dish tunning needs to be spot on, along with size of the dish does matters too, really when it comes to a S2 signals a 10-foot should be the minium size to get most feeds, shure some folks will get them with smaller size dishes but the signal will be edge or have problems like what you're seeing. also it could be the receiver also, I kinda dought it, Panerax use some real junk caps in their production of these receivers and are known to fail in a year or two time, that is why I recaped mine last year.

:) Good news. I was having problems with 99w again most of yesterday and evening. The picture was getting blocky( not like when the signal is to low) strudding and jerky. What I did was turn the channel to a SD channel and t powered down the reciever. Powered the reciever back up. Turn the channel from an SD channel to an DVD-2 8psk 30000 m/s HD channel. And it played great after that. I only saw mild jerkiness and that was because I was looking for it:D As for my signal strength it was 80Q and the other 2 were like 84Q and 90Q. They all played the same. From my experiece any channel that doesn't drop below 75 for 8PSK HD seems to play ok except for the mild jerkiness. I am using a 10ft dish that I just got up and running about a week ago and have it fixed on 99w at the moment. I haven't tried very hard to make any adjustments since I have more than enough signal at least it appears to me I do. But maybe I need more to get rid of the mild jerkiness. Or need a better LNB.

Actually, I opened the cover yesterday and tried the fan idea. But it didn't make a difference. I noticed that the turner and cpu heat sink can get very hot. :eek: With the fan hiitting them they cool off good. But still had the same problem. My latest theory is that the reciever needs to warm up for about 10 -15 minutes. I have seen the problem go away after been on that long. But that could just be luck.:rolleyes:

I am sure my problem with the jerkiness or at least the picture cutting out for a second or two is not due to the Pansat 9000. I beleive it has to do with either my LNBF BSC C/KU or my cable. I have notice the last few days if the picture on High bit S2 8pskHd channel starts to act up all I need to do is turn it to an horizontal polarized channel and then turn it back to the HD channel. When I do this this the picture plays fine with only mild jerkiness every now and then. Also my horizontal polarized channels have been going completely out at random. This happened on the Pansat and Traxis. So I am thinking its the LNBF or my cable.

"Would a DVB-S2 computer card perform better?"I would say, all STB's I've used for DVB-S2, perform better than the Pansat 9200HD. Of course, each one has it's own problems.In theory, a computer card could work very well, but what is your ultimate output? If it's your computer screen or your computer is connected to your HDTV, and you're just viewing, it could work very well (but ask someone who's tried it LOL, my computer only does DVB-S).BUT if you want a recording, the computer will leave you with an oddball MPEG-4 file, with whatever irregularites cause the Pansat to stutter. Of course you can turn it into another format (DVD, BluRay, or just play it on a Western Digital HD Media Player). The question is, how well will this work?At least with STBs you can "see" the results ;-)Here's my assessment of NBC "stuttering" on various receivers:1. Pansat 9200 - from occasional to terrible2. Coolsat 8000 - NONE! But other problems with the video.3. Dreambox DM800/DM500 - slight; but also, audio may be 1-2 frames late.4. AZbox - haven't tried myself. I hear it's "very good" but not perfect.5. Viewsat - doesn't actually get -S2; this receiver was a scam. (only got Turbo)--Gary(PS: IF this message is all one long paragraph with no breaks, I don't know why this website posts my messages that way - I am typing normal paragraph breaks, ie, enter,enter).

Shewed the lnbf about 5 degrees counterclock wise and boom!!! SQ of 93 to 98 on the DVB-S2 8psk 30000 ms feed :). This is on 99w. I haven't had a chance to see if the this helps with the jerkiness or not. I will report later.

Still getting jerkiness even with SQ at 98 which is the highest I have seen the Pansat 9000 hd meter go on any sat I have tried. The jerkniess is mild and I can live with it. But still wish I could figure out the problem and solve it. :confused:

I don't think that problem is solvable without different hardware. Some receivers are incapable of dealing with certain streams, especially ones with high bitrates. In many cases, the only solution is probably a PC-based tuner card.

I was thinking of getting a DVB card and a good video card. So I could get the 4:2:2 feeds on 97w which the pansat can't get. It seems like they can be a real pain from what I have been reading. If I knew if an DVB card would outpefrom an AZBOX or Pansat HD I think it would be worth it.:tux:

With the PC-based solutions (cards and USB devices), performance really depends on the hardware (processor, RAM, video card) in the PC. Installing an MPEG-4 HD-accelerating video card helps quite a bit.

The video cards don't have to cost a lot , either. I get by quite nicely with an Invidea 8750GT, and it's pretty cheap. My only regret is that the 8750GT has DVI out , not HDMI out ( with sound) . I have to run my sound cables seperately.
:)

The video cards don't have to cost a lot , either. I get by quite nicely with an Invidea 8750GT, and it's pretty cheap. My only regret is that the 8750GT has DVI out , not HDMI out ( with sound) . I have to run my sound cables seperately.
:)
How good does your video card handle DVB-S2 9/10 30000 m/s feeds? Is the 8750 a superior card to the ati 4350 which I have my eye on. I know the ati 4350 should be able to handle blue ray just fine, but some of the DVB-S2 feed have a lot more (bits)information to process.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)