DVB-S2 Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Debbi

Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
I have an older Fortec Lifetime Classic NA. I have been enjoying RFD-TV for years and now that it's gone I have been trying to pull in Rural TV with no luck. I seem to only be getting a 20-25% (not enough to lock in) signal and no picture from my 10 foot dish. I noticed in Lyngsat that Rural TV is DVB-S2 and I think my receiver is only capable of pulling in DVB-S signals. I guess I'm looking for a new receiver that will receive DVB-S2 - I'd appreciate any suggestions on what receiver would be a good buy. Thanks for the help.

GEOSATpro microHD* is the new king of the hill. Followed by the Manhattan RS-1933 and Pansat 9500.
There are others, but they lack support for the most part. Think RFD is gone for good.
*Support forum right here.

I would add the DBS6000HD to the list also. It's come a long way in software.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have checked them out and just need to make a decision. I was wondering, on my old Fortec when I put in the specs for Rural TV I'm not getting enough of a signal to lock in the receiver. Is that because it's DVB-S2 or am I just in a bad location and a new receiver won't make any difference? Will any of the suggested receivers give me a better signal than the others?

Personally, I'd go for the MicroHD receiver. I have one, and it does nearly everything you could hope for. It has the best support, (dedicated forum is here) and is coming along quite nicely. There are a couple of licensed dealers selling them on Ebay for around $114.00 with free shipping.

Now for DVB-S2 signals, you might need a larger sized dish, or the one you have might need a better lnb and some tweaking. Those S2 signals are seen as "narrower" and weaker, and you need as much signal as you can get.

I checked out the MicroHD and it looks good. I downloaded the manual and I'm wondering; on my Fortec I have to use an optical cord to an AC3 decoder (or theater sound system), will the MicroHD automatically decode the AC3 sound through either HDMI or RCA connectors? I'm not very experienced with FTA receivers and I appreciate all the help.

Yes the microHD has a built in AC-3 decoding. :)

btw Welcome to Satelliteguys Debbi!!

I see you joined in 2006, but this is the first I've seen you post. Just jump in and ask as you know by now we are all friendly here..:)

If you list a major city that is close to you, others in your part of the country can give their experiance, dish size and equipement in receiving Rural TV.

The closest city would be Traverse City, Michigan. It would be nice to know that someone is receiving Rural TV from my end of the world.

Somewhere around 600 miles NW of you, also a 10 ft dish, and it's coming in fine here. Openbox S9 receiver w/ C2 LNBF.

Thanks so much for all the help and advice, guess I'll be ordering a MicroHD this week. I'm 1100" up on a hill with a fully unobstructed view to the south so I'm hoping for a good signal. Thanks again -

120 miles southeast of TC, you're probably closer to me, I'm actually in Gaylord but I figured the closest BIG city was TC. Glad to hear that there's reception out our way. I miss RFD but now I can look forward to Rural TV. Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)