DVB terms and reciever questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rlariv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Trying to figure out what is what...

DVB-S2 and DVB-S
4:2:2 and 4:2:0
QPSK and 8PSK
SD and HD

What I need - which of these go together and which dont ? if took all combination of the above I would have 2^4 or 16 combinations

In other words is there 4:2:2 , DVB-s, HD, QPSK signals ?

Can someone help put these different terms in perspective for me...

Next question would be... what receiver does all combinations that exist ?

Those are all options. Standard Set-Top Box receivers do all of that except 4:2:2 and the one that does 4:2:2 doesn't do 8PSK or DVB-S2.

A PC card is the only one that will do all of those, provided you have a fast PC. The PC card will not blindscan (find unknown signals), but it will do any combination of formats with the right hardware and software combination.

So - I get a Quali-TV + CS8100 with 8PSK card and I can do

4:2:2 DVB-S SD or HD MPEG 2 (Quali-TV)
4:2:0 DVB-S SD or HD MPEG 2 (Quali-TV)
4:2:0 DVB-S SD or HD (MPEG 2 and MPEG4) (CS8100)
4:2:0 DVB-S2 SD or HD (MPEG2 and MPEG4) (CS8100)

But I can not do... 4:2:2 DVB-S2 M4/M2 or 4:2:2 DVB-S MPEG4 with either receiver - right ?

From what I read - there is no such thing as DVB-S2 MPEG 2 HD or SD ?

So - I get a Quali-TV + CS8100 with 8PSK card and I can do ...
The CS8100 has built-in DVB-S2 and 8PSK. I don't think they have (or need) an optional tuner card for it.

I've been searching for a CS8100 and it seems like all the dealers are out of stock. Know of any that have it?

I do not see how the CS8100 does 8PSK... it does look like it does the DVB-S2 MPEG4 , but only using QPSK ? is this right ?

also - some articles are reading (e.g. TS in france experiment with 8PSK in 2003)... that there is a thing called turbo 8psk ? is that just a fancy name for 8psk ? or do they do something special above and beyond the standard 3-bit symbols ?

I do not see how the CS8100 does 8PSK... it does look like it does the DVB-S2 MPEG4 , but only using QPSK ? is this right ?

also - some articles are reading (e.g. TS in france experiment with 8PSK in 2003)... that there is a thing called turbo 8psk ? is that just a fancy name for 8psk ? or do they do something special above and beyond the standard 3-bit symbols ?
I might be wrong about the CS 8100 being able to do 8PSK. All I know is that I've heard that it can receive NBC HD on AMC18, which I thought was 8PSK.

Also, I have read that 8psk and turbo 8psk are different. For FTA you would want plain 8psk.

A good article about DVB-S2 is at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-S2

I might be wrong about the CS 8100 being able to do 8PSK. All I know is that I've heard that it can receive NBC HD on AMC18, which I thought was 8PSK.

The CS8000 & CS8100 both do 8PSK and DVB-S2 out of the box. I have both units and they work quite well.

Also, I have read that 8psk and turbo 8psk are different. For FTA you would want plain 8psk.
Dish Network uses Turbo 8PSK and apparently they have some FTA channels. Ciel 2 at 129.0°W - LyngSat

Last edited:
I didnt know that DN did turbo - until i read more... it all comes together finally ;) CS8100 is DVB-S2 8PSK out of the box, which will get most of the current FTA channels out there (not sure about feeds)... and DN - which has a few FTA channels, uses turbo 8PSK which the CS8100 will NOT get out of the box...and there is no add-on module for those channels.

I was simply trying to find cs8100 specifications stating 8psk and could not find any that said 8psk at all... and then got confused by reading threads and articles on turbo 8PSK...

Got it now... BUT... would still like to see a spec that says CS8100 DOES have 8PSK / DVB-S2 capabilities...

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)