DVD Recorder HELP!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

peid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 22, 2003
South Dakota
Here's my situation:

I have a camcorder and want to put our kids activities from the camcorder on to DVD.

For instance:

I want 1 DVD per child, unique with their own activities on it.

I want to be able to put a 3 minute dance routine and finalize it to show Grandma, then next week put a 30 minute soccer game on it and then show their aunt both the dance and soccer.

Do you follow what I am trying to do?

I want to put multiple events on 1 DVD but not leave it open until it is complete, and not have 1 DVD per event.

I tried this on a regular DVD-R since this is all I had at the time and in order to view what I just put on the DVD, I need to finalize the disc. HOWEVER, once the disc is finalized, I can't add anything to it.

Will a DVD-RW make this happen for me? And will DVD-RW be most likely compatible in Grandma's DVD player?

Thanks in advance for the quick replies!

I just read from Philips website that a DVD+RW requires minimum recording times for other players to read the disc.

For instance in EP (Extended Play -4 hours) mode the minimum recording is like 30 minutes. So are they saying that putting a 3 minute dance routine on a RW disc won't work?

This is beginning to make me mad.

Regarding the +R or the -R, I guess I don't know.

I know what I have bought works, maybe just lucky I guess.

peid said:
I know what I have bought works, maybe just lucky I guess.

Actually, now that you point that out, I had gotten lucky and now know why my latest 100 pack doesn't work. They are DVD-R, not DVD+R like I need.

Thanks for informing me David! :D

Now back to the other question, I think I bought DVD+RW yesterday but will go home and make sure, and if not take them back and get DVD+RW!

By using DVD+RW, I can record 3 minutes, view on other DVD players, wait 2 weeks, record 30 minutes on the same disc, view on other players, etc?

That is what I need it to be able to do.

I believe that will work. I have herd that there can be problems with SOME players if you don't record enough to the disk. I haven't seen the problem myself, but generally fill a disk fairly quickly. You'll just have to try it and see what happens. Also, if it's something I'm going to share, I generally use a PC DVD+RW drive to copy the filled +RW to a DVD+R (DVD+R is >90% compatible).

PS The Apex players are great at handling pretty much anything thrown at them. For $35 bucks you can get a player that'll take DVD +/- R/W (everything except DVD-RAM).

Have Fun !!!

PS Many computer drives sold now handle both - & +, you can probably find someone to sell/give the -Rs to (the Panasonic DVD recorders take -R too).

David_Levin said:
I believe that will work. I have herd that there can be problems with SOME players if you don't record enough to the disk. I haven't seen the problem myself, but generally fill a disk fairly quickly. You'll just have to try it and see what happens. Also, if it's something I'm going to share, I generally use a PC DVD+RW drive to copy the filled +RW to a DVD+R (DVD+R is >90% compatible).

PS The Apex players are great at handling pretty much anything thrown at them. For $35 bucks you can get a player that'll take DVD +/- R/W (everything except DVD-RAM).

Have Fun !!!

PS Many computer drives sold now handle both - & +, you can probably find someone to sell/give the -Rs to (the Panasonic DVD recorders take -R too).
and the panasonics take ram :)

Status
Not open for further replies.