Not open for further replies.

peid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 22, 2003
South Dakota
Here's my situation:

I have a camcorder and want to put our kids activities from the camcorder on to DVD.

For instance:

I want 1 DVD per child, unique with their own activities on it.

I want to be able to put a 3 minute dance routine and finalize it to show Grandma, then next week put a 30 minute soccer game on it and then show their aunt both the dance and soccer.

Do you follow what I am trying to do?

I want to put multiple events on 1 DVD but not leave it open until it is complete, and not have 1 DVD per event.

I tried this on a regular DVD-R since this is all I had at the time and in order to view what I just put on the DVD, I need to finalize the disc. HOWEVER, once the disc is finalized, I can't add anything to it.

Will a DVD-RW make this happen for me? And will DVD-RW be most likely compatible in Grandma's DVD player?

Thanks in advance for the quick replies!

I just read from Philips website that a DVD+RW requires minimum recording times for other players to read the disc.

For instance in EP (Extended Play -4 hours) mode the minimum recording is like 30 minutes. So are they saying that putting a 3 minute dance routine on a RW disc won't work?

This is beginning to make me mad.

Regarding the +R or the -R, I guess I don't know.

I know what I have bought works, maybe just lucky I guess.

peid said:
I know what I have bought works, maybe just lucky I guess.

Actually, now that you point that out, I had gotten lucky and now know why my latest 100 pack doesn't work. They are DVD-R, not DVD+R like I need.

Thanks for informing me David! :D

Now back to the other question, I think I bought DVD+RW yesterday but will go home and make sure, and if not take them back and get DVD+RW!

By using DVD+RW, I can record 3 minutes, view on other DVD players, wait 2 weeks, record 30 minutes on the same disc, view on other players, etc?

That is what I need it to be able to do.

I believe that will work. I have herd that there can be problems with SOME players if you don't record enough to the disk. I haven't seen the problem myself, but generally fill a disk fairly quickly. You'll just have to try it and see what happens. Also, if it's something I'm going to share, I generally use a PC DVD+RW drive to copy the filled +RW to a DVD+R (DVD+R is >90% compatible).

PS The Apex players are great at handling pretty much anything thrown at them. For $35 bucks you can get a player that'll take DVD +/- R/W (everything except DVD-RAM).

Have Fun !!!

PS Many computer drives sold now handle both - & +, you can probably find someone to sell/give the -Rs to (the Panasonic DVD recorders take -R too).

David_Levin said:
I believe that will work. I have herd that there can be problems with SOME players if you don't record enough to the disk. I haven't seen the problem myself, but generally fill a disk fairly quickly. You'll just have to try it and see what happens. Also, if it's something I'm going to share, I generally use a PC DVD+RW drive to copy the filled +RW to a DVD+R (DVD+R is >90% compatible).

PS The Apex players are great at handling pretty much anything thrown at them. For $35 bucks you can get a player that'll take DVD +/- R/W (everything except DVD-RAM).

Have Fun !!!

PS Many computer drives sold now handle both - & +, you can probably find someone to sell/give the -Rs to (the Panasonic DVD recorders take -R too).
and the panasonics take ram :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)