dvd recorder

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sanj01

Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
i recently signed up with dish after years with att/comcast and have the 522..love the service and have had no problems or complaints really...

i wanted to see if there is a way i can record the movies stored on the 522's hard drive for my own comsumption at a later date. is that possible? does anyone have any experience with this...thanks!

If you're talking about direct copies of the hard drive, no can do - yet - maybe someday. Other than that, just plug the recording device of your choice into it - preferably to the RCA jacks as opposed to the coax.

I use the Panny dmr80 and it does a great job of recording to dvd. I will usually copy to the hard drive first then dub at high speed when I am watching something else

The Panasonic's are nice. I especially like thier hard drive equipped models (although this may not be needed since you all ready have a PVR). But, there are other units out there too.

Be aware, that there are 3 different recordable disc formats:

DVD-RAM (around 2x the price of DVD +/- RW)
DVD-R/RW
DVD+R/RW

R will work in around 95% of existing DVD players
RW will work in around 50% of existing DVD players
RAM works in SOME Panasonic DVD players only (a perhaps a few others).

The panasonics can record to DVD-R (non-erasable) and DVD-RAM.

Personally, I'm partial to +R/RW where the RW discs don't require finalization (for standard DVD players). And, recorded material can be partially overwritten at will (like a tape).

The Comp USA Lite-ON LW-5001 (frequently on sale for $250) is by far the least expensive unit with a firewire port (for digital connection to a camcorder). I don't know if this model supports the partial overwrite feature - the Philips do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts