DVI Cables - Help!

DanB474

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 29, 2004
I just called Dish, and they said the 811's are in!!!! Woohoo!!! And I have an install date of Sunday. I asked if the 811 comes with a DVI cable, and the CSR said yes. I believe this is false based on threads I've read here, but didn't want to argue too long with the CSR. Now I need to purchase a DVI cable, because I don't trust that the installer will show up with one. My question is this: I have a Sony XBR 34" WS HDTV ready set. Do I need to get a male-male or a male-female DVI cable? Where can I buy one of these for a good price. I don't think I want to pay $100 at best buy or circuit city for a Monster Cable DVI. Is there a good online store that offers next day shipping? And will I need a dual link, or is single link OK?

I've been looking for the thread regarding an 811 install gone wrong, but I can't find it. I could swear it said the 811 does not come with a DVI cable. I spoke with a CSR and Advanced Tech employee at Dish; both said that a DVI cable does come with the 811. I asked the AD-Tech person how long the cable was, and she couldn't tell me. Does anyone here have firsthand knowledge? I'd rather order an inexpensive DVI cable over the internet, next-day aired to me than pay $100 for a Monster rip-off. I don't know why, but my assumption is that these Dish employees are wrong, and may not even know what a DVI cable is........I'm guessing the cable is not included, probably only comes with component.

No DVI cable was with my 811 back on 3-1-04. I got the HDTV in a box, the TV came with a DVI cable. But I've heard other people say their 811 came with a DVI cable. But I can only tell you what mine came with.

please do not buy a Monster DVI cable. they are the biggest rip off going. you must use pacific cables as said above. I buy from them all the time and save about 70% over Monster.

Why don't you wait and see if it comes with one or not then spend the $. It would be a waste to purchase one prior and have it show up with a cable. Your're not going to benefit that much over component anyway.

The problem is I have to remove approx 500 lbs worth of entertainment center to get to the rear of my TV when the installer shows up, and I'll need to put it back in place once the rear of the TV has been accessed. I don't want to be unprepared without the DVI cable. My TV has 2 component video inputs and 1 DVI input. Right now, both of my component video inputs are used (DVD player and Playstation 2). That's why the big need for the DVI.

DVI-D cables on ebay. 1 penny and up.

Can't wait?? I saw a bunch of 6' ones for 99 cents and 4.99 shipping using buy-it-now.

Thats where I got mine. :) Works like a charm.

Last TOS-link cable cost me 6 cents!!

DarrelP says:

Why don't you wait and see if it comes with one or not then spend the $. It would be a waste to purchase one prior and have it show up with a cable. Your're not going to benefit that much over component anyway.

You have a Sanyo 2HD and you're saying that? Hmmm...

I find that both DVD (scaled or not) and the 811 look noticably better with DVI than with component.

Oh well, to each their own...

Cheers,

DVI with 811

I just had my 811 installed on 6-8-04. IT DOES NOT COME WITH A DVI CABLE. I listen to the csr rep and then had to move everything out again to put in the DVI cable. GET ONE, it is worth the $100.00. HD looks great. I have a 60" Grand Vega and it is wonderful. Providing that the contant is TRUE HD.

Good luck

joeadt said:
I just had my 811 installed on 6-8-04. IT DOES NOT COME WITH A DVI CABLE. I listen to the csr rep and then had to move everything out again to put in the DVI cable. GET ONE, it is worth the $100.00. HD looks great. I have a 60" Grand Vega and it is wonderful. Providing that the contant is TRUE HD.

Good luck
I have a Samsung 50" DLP & a 811 for HD. Between the DVI & Composite one looks just as good as the other. The DVI is a 1 meter Monster cable. Stick with the composite.

Damn it. No DVI cable. I called up and told the rep I spoke with to be sure and let the other idiots down there know that the 811 doesn't come with a DVI cable. How in the heck do two different reps (one being advanced tech support) not know that a DVI cable isn't included. Oh yeah, and they said the installer would install an OTA for $49 additional. They said he would bring the antenna. When he showed up this a.m., he told me his company doesn't install antennas. He doesn't know why the dish csr would have told me that. So, back to the drawing board. Component cables work fine, but my Playstation 2 is taking up that spot, so I guess it'll be on to ebay to buy an inexpensive DVI. Does anyone know of a good company that will install an OTA, with good service (and make sure he points it right so I get all my channels)? I'm in the Sacramento, CA area.

811 cables

Unless they've changed policy, the 811 does not come with a DVI cable but it does come with a decent component cable. If you get the HD in a box however, there is supposed to be a DVI cable in the monitor cable pak.

WaltinVt

I got the DVI cable for my 811 from http://impactacoustics.com (also found as http://www.cablestogo.com ). I bought a 3 meter DVI-D M/M cable from them, and with accelerated shipping, it cost me only $44.21 -- a six footer would have cost less, but they were out of stock when I ordered mine, so I went for the 3 meter one. The cable is of excellent quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts