DVI/Component Information...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
This was posted at another forum and I thought that it was good information.

Ron" <windsong14845@y...> wrote:
The picture quality of VOOM is outstanding but better on my component(TOSH 42HDX82) than on my DVI. On the other hand my dvd player(SamsungHD931) looks better through DVI at 1080i than through component.I was going to purchase a dvi switch through Pacific Cable but cancelled the order after the above discoveries.Has anyone else found this to be true?? Have a merry, Ron

This was my response:

That's interested. I have found quite the opposite on a Samsung DLP and a Sony GWII LCD. Others have found it to be the same...

This is why...

"iwantmyhdtv37" <iwantmyhdtv37@y...> Date: Sat Dec 6, 2003 12:02 pm

That's because LCD, plasma, and DLP televisions are DIGITAL displays and benefit from a DIGITAL connection. His Toshiba TV is a CRT based one and is ANALOG. Using a DVI cable will keep it digital from the STB to the TV but there's an analog step inside the TV in order to display the picture. So in theory, there's no benefit in pic quality using DVI on an analog display. However, I read an article by Gary Merson, an expert TV calibrator, saying that he indeed saw a benefit using DVI on an analog display. He tested the latest SONY top of the line CRT based HDTV and stated he could see the fine lines in peoples faces better with DVI then component. So, I guess it's really a trial and error thing as to whether you'll see a benefit on your tv. If you think about it, the only way to really see the difference would be to have two of the same TV's side by side, using the same box, one hooked up to DVI and one component. That's also assuming your TV has been professionally calibrated to assure proper
gray scale, conevergence, etc.......

Here's the link to the article: http://tinyurl.com/y0lp

I thought it was interested... One note is that SONY GWII do not follow a true Digital Path through DVI. There is a Digital/Analog convertion if you look at the schematic. The DLP does follow a true digital path.

I just read that on the Yahoo forum and also thought that was interesting. I have a Plasma TV and can't see a difference between DVI or component.

I see a difference in the DLP and the LCD. Even though the Sony GWII is not a true digital path, it does have an excellent convertion D/A and it gives superb picture quality.

I get a superb PQ but then again my TV isn't really a true HD, it's what they call a ED so that maybe the reason I don't see a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts