VOOM picture quality - DVI vs. component

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

1080iBeVuMin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
Santa Rosa, CA
I just hooked up DVI, replacing component connection, and can see no difference. Or if do I see a difference, it is so slight that it could be my imagination.

My PQ is jaw-dropping gorgeous even with component, so I am not complaining. But I was a bit surprised to discover so little perceptible difference with DVI after reading so many posts that DVI is the "highest quality" etc. etc. Perhaps the difference varies depending on the display? I am running a Sony 34XBR910 (CRT) (my avatar).

Just curious, any thoughts about this? Anyone seeing major differences?

From reading hundreds of posts on AVSForum on the subject, you can conclude that the difference is minimal if any noticeable.Yea, my signature explains it well enough.

I think that's because the CRT is an analog device. At some point, the signal is converted to analog for display, so either your STB does the conversion (component) or your TV does it (DVI).

If you have a digital technology like plasma or LCD or DLP, then it makes a difference.

barth2k said:
I think that's because the CRT is an analog device. At some point, the signal is converted to analog for display, so either your STB does the conversion (component) or your TV does it (DVI).

If you have a digital technology like plasma or LCD or DLP, then it makes a difference.

Thats exactly the case !

I have DVI out to my Sony (It is digital) and component out to it also. I switch back and forth and have never seen any difference whatsoever. I was also expecting a big difference with the DVI cable, although I don't see how anything could provide a better picture... It is excellent.

I have a D* HDTV box also and that is Component only, the picture appears sharper (because of thier PQ) but not as bright as voom (most likely because of the DVI input). I have plugged in my component cables (btw all monster HQ) into voom, but because it takes time to plug it in and walk around to the tv, its kind of hard to notice much of a difference.

I agree but the picture in my toshiba 57h83 feels more sharp compared to component, in my IMHO. DVI Colors are a little bit washed out

No I just did 56 point calibration myself and I also used DVE. for 1600 $TV , I can't justify to pay 300$ more for calibaration .Hopefully I will get plasma or a better display technology in 2-3 yrs. :smug

1080, I had a whole similar post on this subject. I have the 4.3 version of your tv. and I too was totally dissapointed with DVI on stock cable vs my components. My components have a more colorful crisper picture. Like the other poster I too noticed DVI colors being washed out.

Not complaining though components give me what i expect to have with HD till I buy another TV. Maybe Plasma maybe not.

Hey, THANKS for all the replies! Great discussion. Pretty much what I thought. I sure appreciate everybody chiming in about this.

Cheers,

Bottom line is that there are a LOT of people out there that were expecting a big improvement in PQ between component and DVI. On non-digital displays, I wouldn't expect any change, and for a lot of the people with digital displays, they're not finding much, if any, improvement either. As has been posted before, I think a lot depends on the quality of equipment/cables. In other words, if you have good stuff, component produces a PQ comparable to DVI.

Lob

It depends on the devices on both ends of the cable. I have an up-converting DVD player and an LCD RPTV where DVI is clearly better than component, but with my D* HD Tivo I see no difference to the same set. It sounds like the output produced by the Voom STB also may not be noticeably different from DVI to component. Mine is installed next month and I will report my findings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)