Voom picture quality

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tsbruce

Original poster
May 5, 2004
I heard that Voom recently changed compression sceems. Has this affected their HD picture quality? How does Voom HD compare to dish or Directv HD. :what

tsbruce said:
I heard that Voom recently changed compression sceems. Has this affected their HD picture quality? How does Voom HD compare to dish or Directv HD. :what

No change in compression schemes. As you may have noted there are plenty of threads dealing with this issue. I do not have D* but I have E*. I have done several tests on common channels to both E* and V* recently and the picture to me looks the same.

Did anyone happen to see 28 Days Later on HBO this weekend? The picture quality was horrible. Just checking to see if I was the only one.

tscall,

The director intended 28 days to be like that -- like grainy news coverage. It was low res, grainy in the theater as well.

I've been unable to receive channels 101 thru 122 on Voom using "native" mode. I had to change to 1080i to see it. Anybody know why?

vanman,

Some of those channels are temporarily in 720p. If your set can't accept a 720p signal, then obviously native mode won't work for those channels.

tscallions,

28 Days Later was shot using a bu++load of Canon XL-1s cameras. These are prosumer camera's. They're only about $3,000 now. Basically, they're not even high-def camera's. Just mini-DV NTSC 720x480 cameras. Don't get me wrong, these are nice cameras, but not for film res stuff.

I should know, I shot my short film with an XL-1.

Hey, you know it's kool and the gang. I don't want to f**k ya s**t up, it's just that I own the DVD and I thought the PQ was better on the DVD that what was shown on HBO saturday night. I'm not all bent out of shape about it. Just my thoughts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts