A Word On VOOM Picture Quality

Picture Washed Out

I have recently (past 2 days) noticed that the picture quality of the HD channels has decreased substantially. The colors are not as vibrant and the picture in general seems washed out. Has anyone else been experiencing this and will it be fixed in the upcoming software release or should I place a service call.

Thanks,

TAR.

trugel said:
Has anyone else been experiencing this
Yes. Always.
trugel said:
and will it be fixed in the upcoming software release
Probably not. This is not something that a software download would likely fix.
trugel said:
or should I place a service call.
No. A service call will not fix anything. It's a complete lack of priority for Voom to increase picture quality. It's all about bandwidth and compression. Sure, Voom has more HD channels, but they all look like crap due to such high compression. I'm just about ready to leave because of it. I can't recommend Voom to anyone right now.

Take a look at the thread "VOOM Vs DIRECT VOOM sucks. "

It is all about PQ from a guy who is a videographer and basically agrees with everything being said. We are bastards about PQ but damn that is what we subscribed for. I can take the current content if the PQ was up to par. I still think a lot of it is the Motorola box and compression. I think I saw in another post that VOOM double compresses. MPEG2 from the source and then encrypts it again with with Motorola's digisypher. a 10 year old encryption system

well the encryption shouldn't affect PQ. the fact that the encryption scheme is 10yo may indicate robustness (it hasn't been hacked).

The method of encryption and compression does affect the PQ. That is why there is so much delaying the intro of HDDVD. WM9 or the MGEG4 or it video equivilant H___. Recent summary of tests show that WM9 hold PQ better than most systems. However, I know that a lot of people will debate that point and that is good. But both the more you add to the PQ the more you take away.

compression, of course, but encryption? if your data is changed by en/decryption, something is broken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts