Does Tivo work with Your Voom? Yes!

vesposit

Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
-has anyone successfully setup a Tivo2 to change the channels on a Voom receiver ?
-if so which code did you use ?

-I understand Tivo won't get the HD channels... but it will get others...

regards,
mike

Does Tivo work with Your Voom? Yes.

Can I connect my Tivo to the SD output of Voom receiver and record ok ?
Will the picture be full screen when played thru the Tivo ?

Can Tivo change the channels on you Voom Box ?

I'm looking for someone who has made it work...

Thanks,
me

I do not think I have come across anyone with a Tivo and VOOM yet. But the S-Video connection should work since all dvi, component, s-video, and composite video outputs of the Voom receiver are live simultaneously. The HD channels will be downconverted with black bars.

I do not know if the HD channels will respond to remote control of the Tivo. The SD channels might. Anyone who has Tivo & VOOM?

The VoOm being controlled by TiVo is one problem, the other is the channel mapping. TiVo the service is not avl. for VoOm so you will have to use TiVo with another services's guide data. There is a TiVo-web module that allows for user defined channel mapping so if the control issue can be overcome then TiVo is in! (at SD anyway) ;)

GG

Anybody have any good info on when and if either TiVo or Voom will offer a PVR that can record HD....similar to the recent Dish 921 receiver?

Future: PVR for VOOM?

"The current platform is a 4 tuner design, 2 satellite tuners and 2 over the air tuners. As I recall any combo is workable. Wilt"

Back to using VoOm with a current SD TiVo. I just spent the last few hours trying to get my TiVo to control the VoOm STB via IR and it's a no-go. Re-set TiVo to use cable STB's, selected "General Instrument", "GI" and "Motorola". Tried all IR codes in each of the above groups and nothing triggered the "Dot" on the front of the VoOm STB.

It's a sad day in TiVo history :(

There is talk in the AVS forum of getting TiVo to add support VoOm so fingers crossed.

Still with some IR conversion there may be hope (or use a serial to IR converter of some kind - programmed with the VoOm codes of course)

The fact that VoOm outputs both SD and HD at the same time really makes TiVo SD a real possability, all of the other HD STB's I have had my hands on do NOT allow for simu outputs, I have tried converters to get my SD recorders (and TV's in remote rooms) to work but always things just look weird (the converted HD to SD). This alone for me is the reason to dump the Sony HD200 I have been using.

GG

Tivo W Voom

yea... good idea... w/ IR... I could use a macroizer to convert tivo ir output to voom ir input... so it could change channels fine...
But still the problem w/ the guide...
I have heard and looked a little at the TivoWeb... but i'm not sure how
big a deal it is to set it up and how much attention does it need once setup ?

if Voom had a PVR i'd get Voomed today... but without Tivo or PVR it
just suxor

VOOM and TIVO?

Has anybody set up TIVO with their VOOM service? I have VOOM scheduled to be installed Friday and I was wondering if my TIVO will work with the Motorola box.

das2000 said:
Has anybody set up TIVO with their VOOM service? I have VOOM scheduled to be installed Friday and I was wondering if my TIVO will work with the Motorola box.

Awesome, I want to hear about it as i am thinking about getting Voom. I just got an e-mail from their support, they are adding 2 HBO HD channels, 7 SD and more!

As far as TiVo, they say you can record and pause, but you wouldn't be able to use the on-screen guide. You would have to set timers and whatnot. But, you would need the HD TiVo to record in HD, otherwise you are going to down-convert the signal.

Tivo and VOOM

For those of you that have Tivo and VOOM. Just read this posted by Wilt at Yahoo Board.

We sent Tivo everything a while ago. I'll follow up to make sure that nothing got lost in translation.
Wilt

As far as using a TIVO with Voom, I think one solution would be a
programmable remote (Sony RM-AV3000 etc.) to control Voom. They can
be programmed to turn on Voom and change to any channel at a preset
time. It could even be used to control both boxes. At least I think
this should work.

Voom with ReplayTV or TiVo?

Since Dish has screwed me over on CBS, I need a DVR to record OTA. I'm having trouble deciding between TiVo or ReplayTV.

My main concern is that it works with VOOM. Im about ready to make the switch, but I cant make the switch without a DVR.

Can someone help me out here?

Thanks.

StevenD said:
Since Dish has screwed me over on CBS, I need a DVR to record OTA. I'm having trouble deciding between TiVo or ReplayTV.

My main concern is that it works with VOOM. Im about ready to make the switch, but I cant make the switch without a DVR.

Can someone help me out here?

Thanks.

As of today, VOOM and Tivo are not a matched. However, the chief engineer has sent tivo the request to add VOOM. To all Tivo users, put the pressure on Tivo because VOOM has put the request but it looks like Tivo is falling asleep on this.

Thanks Sean. I emailed Wilt...we shall see what he says.

Replay...

Called replay the other day. Basically, they don't have guide support, so the device will only work like a standard VCR (you can click on record, stop, or manually set up a program).

I went to their customer service section on the website and officially asked for VOOM guide support. Hopefully, if more do the same they will add it soon.

TIVO is the same thing - only works like a VCR.

Until they come up with guide support, they both are a waste of time.

I have to keep my D* in order to use my ReplayTV 5080. Oh well, I guess I shouldn't complaign since now I have 2 tuners (D* and V*), and I can finally use my picture-in-picture... Now if only 2 basketball games would come on!!

Just had voom installed, moved from dish...Just in time. I have a software based dvr Microsoft Media Center, it too has no Voom support. However, SnapStream does. I'm thinking about switching to that and waiting for a hd dvr from voom.

paddy

Wilt responded to my message this morning:

"We're working with Tivo to get the codes and receiver type in. It will happen in the next month or so, depending on their workload. I'm trying to streamline that. Replay, I've been unable to find anyone to speak with. Wilt"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts