Does Tivo work with Your Voom? Yes!

Right now Tivo can only be used as a VCR like. There is going to be support for Tivo on VOOM. I believe VOOM/Tivo are still working out the details.

TIVO and VOOM

Does anyone have any information about getting a TIVO to work with VOOM. The TIVO forum says it won't, yet. Various causes and "it's their fault not ours" declaimers. Getting the guide information seems to be the problem. I specifically asked "Does this work with TIVO" when I ordered this, (direct not from Sears) and the reply was "yes". I also insisted on speaking to a supervisor as the answers I was getting about using one box for the TIVO and one box direct to the TV, were not convincing me. The answer was definitely yes. So how?
I have a new install on Tueasday 20th April and rely on TIVO. I know it won't record HD, But at least it will have the best input possible and I am half way to a full HD system. Which will be complete when I can get a HD-PVR (and an audio upgrade) A step at a time.
Also anyone tweaked TIVO for better resolution/recording of HD. The TIVO underground suggests you can set TIVO record at 740 x --- using a TIVOWEB. This sounds like it could only make the recording better for HD?

Thanks John Cooper

you use it like a VCR with Svideo from the voom box. Set up the program planner in the Voom box, then set up manual recordings with the TIVO.

All in all a big pain in the butt. I'm letting my tivo rest (power off) until the guide data is supported.

So much for product lifetime "service".

Edit: Does anyone know how we are supposed to be notified when Tivo works? Other than repeating guided setup?

Wilt said a month ago that he was working with TIVO to get us up and running and then Wilt said it would take a month. Well we still dont have it. I am going to email him and Yahoo and find out whats up!

Bill

Videofx said:
Here is my reply from Wilt
Bill

Subject:* RE: [VOOM] Tivo?

Last time I spoke with them they were well along. I'll reach out again next week.

*Wilt

So hopefully it won't be too much longer. I remind him again next week :)

Bill

Setup TIVO for VOOM?

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to setup TIVO to use with VOOM?
I heard that it can be done, but I never saw detailed instructions on how to do that.
Any ideas?
I have a TIVO-2 recorder and I was hoping to use it, so I can at least record VOOM's programs in SD until VOOM delivers it's HD DVR later this year.

You won't be able to use your program guide from Tivo until Voom and Tivo get something worked out. I have the same setup you do.

I use the IR cables for Voom STB. I selected DirecTV PG, but it doesn't really matter. For STB codes, I used General Instruments box code 10035. When you record, you must set it manually. This works OK for me, but I miss full Tivo capability.

Thank you for quick reply.
I will try that when I get VOOM installed next week.

does the GE code control the Voom box? It would be nice to not have to use the program planner for network shows, since the network channel numbers are the same in D*'s PG and Voom's PG.

Any word on TiVo?

Has anyone heard anything new about TiVo supporting Voom?

Now that we have ESPN-HD, I think we should all fight for TiVo to work while we wait for our HD PVR! :)

Currently I have to manually set everything to record, but I've found a way to record 16x9 on TiVo, so I'm happy. I just wish my season passes and wish lists would work again!

You should look into the Tivo beta program. Steps and info are posted @ tivocommunity in the coffee house forum. Search for Voom.

You can set your Tivo up to change channels now by using the General Instruments 10035 code. It changes Voom box channels. That way at least you don't have to use Voom's program planner. I use Tivo right now to record local network shows using the DirecTV lineup with only the nets in Channels I receive.

Good Luck!

TiVo Site Update

I've been checking TiVo's site for updates on Voom, and the article used to say that it is currently not supported.

It's been changed though to read "TiVo Digital Video Recorders (DVRs) will work with Voom satellite service; however, the DVR can only record and display video in standard definition (SD). Programs aired in High Definition (HD) will be recorded and displayed in standard definition by the DVR." (link)

Anyone tested this yet? I'm assuming this means that TiVo has all the necessary information to control the receiver now. I loaned mine to a friend until they added support for it. It may be time to get it back.

-Aleks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)