DVI/HDMI 622 cable connection question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

2extreme

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Hi again!

I currently have an 811 that i recently purchased a DVI cable for that connects directly to my HDTV (obviously :) ) When I upgrade to the 622 (whenever I can get my hands on one haha) I know I will not be able to use that cable without a converter or a new cable...Will the 622 come with a converter or HDMI cables? My tv only has a DVI input and dont want that purchase of the DVI cable to go to waste.

It just bites that I spent the money on that cable and it is obsolete for the 622. If a converter doesn't come with it (which I doubt it does) where can I get one or are they even recommended? Or would it be better to just buy a cable from HDMI to DVI?

Thanks...

The 622 doesn't come with any type of HDMI cable. Only the standard RCA and coax. Your best bet would be to get a HDMI to HDMI cable. If you try and add a DVI to HDMI to your existing cable I think you would get poor results. Just get the right cable and be done with it. I got a 6 foot Monster HDMI-HDMI on Ebay for $35 last Friday so look around.

Dishpointer said:
The 622 doesn't come with any type of HDMI cable. Only the standard RCA and coax. Your best bet would be to get a HDMI to HDMI cable. If you try and add a DVI to HDMI to your existing cable I think you would get poor results. Just get the right cable and be done with it. I got a 6 foot Monster HDMI-HDMI on Ebay for $35 last Friday so look around.

Thanks for the response!

I guess I will get or try to see if I can get ad HDMI-DVI cable for a reasonable price... I just hate buying stuff and then it's outdated right away.

Maybe I can find aa cable for that price!

Thanks again

SatinKzo said:
Check http://www.monoprice.com for some cables. I have a couple DVI-HDMI cables from them and they work great. Don't let the low prices fool you, they work well and you don't pay for the Monster or Belkin name.

Thanks SatinKzo...I'm looking there now...ya they have nice prices! I have always wondered if the "big names" were really any better.

Monster cables are based on name. Not saying they are bad, but they are overpriced. All the tests I have seen show no difference in short runs of less then 10 feet. And when it comes to the newer digital cables, the length can be extended without much difference.

The best comment I have see on the issue comes from the monster cable site itself:

http://www.monstercable.com/RobertHarley/ch11_p03.asp

Now when it comes to audio cables and speaker wire, I do pay a little more for "Higher Quality" cabling. Even analog video cables can fetch a slightly higher premium from me. I will never however pay $130 for a 8ft IXOS DVI cable when after demoing it in my home, the $20 DVI cable performed exactly the same.

I'm not saying buying bargain basement is the best deal at all, But price alone should not tell a user the cable's quality. And never believe a salesman about Monster or any other high priced cabling. 5-8yrs ago, I was a monster cable person, but in the past few years I have been serverly disappointed in their product and the quality I got from suppossedly "Top Notch Quality" cables. Luckily cables can be returned easily and ever since my bad experiences with Monster I have bought from places such as Monoprice, bluejeans cable or Bettercables and never looked back, except at my wallet, cause it still had money in it.

Last edited:
2extreme said:
Hi again!

I currently have an 811 that i recently purchased a DVI cable for that connects directly to my HDTV (obviously :) ) When I upgrade to the 622 (whenever I can get my hands on one haha) I know I will not be able to use that cable without a converter or a new cable...Will the 622 come with a converter or HDMI cables? My tv only has a DVI input and dont want that purchase of the DVI cable to go to waste.

It just bites that I spent the money on that cable and it is obsolete for the 622. If a converter doesn't come with it (which I doubt it does) where can I get one or are they even recommended? Or would it be better to just buy a cable from HDMI to DVI?

Thanks...
Hey 2extreme

I just got a 811 and I went to BB and got Acoustic Research cable for my Sony 50'' XRD. Also you might have to get a DVI to HDMI adapter for the 811 because it has a DVI output.

Here is the link:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat69400050020

I've been buying cables from monoprice.com for some time now since the Monster and Belkin alternatives at Best Buy and Circuit City were so outrageously expensive.

My neighbor and I did a test with his Monster HDMI-HDMI vs. my monoprice.com HDMI-HDMI and we could not distinguish any difference in picture quality.

Monster has a good product, but it is hugely overrated and grossly overpriced.

This thread could go on forever, but the last thing I will say on it is:

Price is not always directly related to quality. Monster/AR/Belkin know the power of prestige pricing on their product.

Do your research, buy a few with the intention of trying them and getting assurance you can send them back. I myself will continue to buy from the companies I listed.

Last edited:
Are we 100% sure the 622 won't come with any HDMI or DVi cables/converters?

The 942 unit came with a HDMI-DVI converter and an 8' HDMI-DVI cable...

masterdeals said:
Are we 100% sure the 622 won't come with any HDMI or DVi cables/converters?
The 942 unit came with a HDMI-DVI converter and an 8' HDMI-DVI cable...

Well, we don't really know for sure but I thought it was mentioned that it didn't. I guess we will find out in 2 weeks.

2extreme said:
Hi again!
Thanks...

Get yourself one of these. I just bought 2 myself for the inevitable future upgrade. You're in the same boat as me. My TV only has DVI in, but with one of these adapters, you'll be able to go from HDMI to DVI using your exisiting cable!

Click the link:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1041902&p_id=2080&seq=1&format=2&style=

Reefer123 said:
They are better. When my wife can tell a difference w/o knowing which cable I was plugging in then it HAS to be better. You get what you pay for.

When dealing with digital cables (DVI, HDMI, digital audio cables, etc...) they either work or they don't. The zeros and ones arrive in the same condition over a $10 cable from monoprice as they do over a $100 Monster cable.
So, an inexpensive DVI to HDMI cable from monoprice.com (or other online retailers, there are several) would be a good bet. Heck, he could eBay the original cable and cover his costs for the new cable and have a few bucks left over for pizza and beer!

Wow...I've never had so many posts in a thread I started :D Guess I started a good one! Lots of great info here and yes could go forever about who swears by which cable...

Jimmy J said:
Get yourself one of these. I just bought 2 myself for the inevitable future upgrade. You're in the same boat as me. My TV only has DVI in, but with one of these adapters, you'll be able to go from HDMI to DVI using your exisiting cable!
Click the link:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1041902&p_id=2080&seq=1&format=2&style=

Jimmy J, I think it was stated on here that a converter may degrade quality since it is just another addition to the cable and should just go with the correct cable. I'm not sure which I want to do...but this link:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1023101&p_id=2404&seq=1&format=2&style=

shows that the actual cable is only abou $0.80 more then the adaptor...

Thanks for the inputs though!!

griz_fan said:
Heck, he could eBay the original cable and cover his costs for the new cable and have a few bucks left over for pizza and beer!

griz_fan...I love the way you think...go here to my my old cable... :D Ok there really isn't a link but damn thats funny! Good point though...don't know what I'm going to use that cable for anymore anyways...

2extreme said:
Wow...I've never had so many posts in a thread I started :D Guess I started a good one! Lots of great info here and yes could go forever about who swears by which cable...
Jimmy J, I think it was stated on here that a converter may degrade quality since it is just another addition to the cable and should just go with the correct cable. I'm not sure which I want to do...but this link:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1023101&p_id=2404&seq=1&format=2&style=
shows that the actual cable is only abou $0.80 more then the adaptor...
Thanks for the inputs though!!

Don't believe all the hype! Digital is just that...digital. 0's & 1's. It's an all or nothing proposition. Doesn't make a bit of difference whether it's going thru an adapter (NOT CONVERTER) or not, provided the info gets to where it needs to be.

I have a firend who spent over a hundred bucks for a "MUNGSTER" cable, and you could not tell the difference between it and one that he got for a whole lot less from MONOPRICE!

I needed a 33 ft run, so that's why I suggested the adapter, but the cable you pointed out will work fine since you have a short run.

Jimmy J said:
I needed a 33 ft run, so that's why I suggested the adapter, but the cable you pointed out will work fine since you have a short run.

Wow 33 ft cable...Understand why you used an adapter sorry if I said converter :eek: Not sure what length I going to get yet but they aren't too badly priced. Thanks again for the info, I think I've made my choice of monoprice!

2extreme said:
Wow 33 ft cable...Understand why you used an adapter sorry if I said converter :eek: Not sure what length I going to get yet but they aren't too badly priced. Thanks again for the info, I think I've made my choice of monoprice!

Glad to be of service!:up

Dishpointer said:

Are you sure? The 942 came with a HDMI to DVI to HDMI cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)