DVI-I to DVI-D adapter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

systematic

Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
hello, i am somewhat of a noob when it comes to stuff like this.
i have a DVI-I cable that runs from my projector that i would like to plug into a few things such as cable boxes and computers. i have component and HDTV but that doesnt do me any good with my computer. now our cable box has a DVI-D output.... so its missing the 4 litle pins for analog.... is there anywhere to find an adapter for this? ive looked all over.

systematic said:
hello, i am somewhat of a noob when it comes to stuff like this.
i have a DVI-I cable that runs from my projector that i would like to plug into a few things such as cable boxes and computers. i have component and HDTV but that doesnt do me any good with my computer. now our cable box has a DVI-D output.... so its missing the 4 litle pins for analog.... is there anywhere to find an adapter for this? ive looked all over.

you will probable have to get a dvd-d cable, it'll work on the dvi-i plug.
the way I understand it DVI-I does both analog and digital signals and DVI-D does just digital.
I had the same problem with my sony grand wega and the dish 921(which I still don't have) the receiver is DVI-I and the TV is DVI-D.
I was told by many sources that the DVI-D cable will work, and was given the same explanation I just gave you.
hope this helps.

P.S.
search this forum and you'll get more info.

Go to Pacific Cable's DVI Tutorial , they have everything you ever needed to know about DVI. You can also submit a question to them, telling them what you have and what you want to hook up to it and they will give you the correct part number. They're cables are inexpensive and good quality. I bought a VGA-DVI conversion cable for $15.

I would expect that DVI-I ports would support all 3 cables since it has the pins for all 3 standards. In other words, the DVI-D cable would connect to a DVI-I port just fine. But please verify.

Slight Problem

I have an Apple Powerbook G4, with a DVI-I output, and
a Panasonic with component/svideo, and DVI-D input.
I got a DVI-D to DVI-D cable to try to connect these.
My computer had slots for 4 extra pins that the cable does not have. I connected them, and the picture was wonderful, but I couldn't get it to display full screen. There was always a small catch... the display would go all the way across, but it was scrunched, or it would have the strips at the top and bottom like a widescreen DVD on a 4:3 monitor.

I was trying to decide if this was a DVI-D to DVI-I conversion problem, or if it was simply an error between resolutions. Only a few of my display resolutions were exactly 4:3 or 16:9 (the two my TV supports). However, even they did not display correctly.
Does anyone have any suggestions.... need more resolution options, problem with TV, need to buy X cable from somewhere? Thanks in advance.

ShimmyShimmy, It is not an issue with the DVI-I and DVI-D. DVI-I contains wired connections to both the digital and analog video signals(R, G, B, Hsync, Vsync). DVI-D is digital only. Your set is only receiving the digital signal.

The issue is with the video driver in the computer. You may want to check with Apple to see if they have upgraded their drivers to allow more display options.

Talk about being cheap, but "in theory" can one physically modify a standard DVI(-I) to VGA adapter (removing the 4 extra pins, and narrowing the wide pin) so that it will fit into a female DVI-D plug and hope for conversion success? Or are the various DVI types actually wired differently inside?

I'm trying to convert female DVI-D (PC video card) to female VGA (for monitor), but the standard adapters are for DVI-I to VGA - which obviously won't fit....
Thanks - A

Aligon,

A DVI-D (the D standing for digital) transmitter will not drive a VGA input. DVI-D is pure digital - no analog signals. VGA is a pure analog connection. Never the twain shall meet -sorry.

DVI-I connections contains both the digital and analog signals therefor you will find hybrid adapters for these.

DVI-D to DVI-I

Have a question referring to going DVI-I to DVI-D. Is it possible? I have a new monitor that is DVI-D and want to connect to video card in my computer with an output of DVI-I. I'm told its possible with an adapter. But can't find this adapter anywhere, even looked for a cable with female DVI-I to female DVI-D.

This video card also has a VGA output, but is planned to be connected to an LCD as a secondary montior. This is necessary for me to do video editing and I'm not use to working with Pc's.

I had the Mac setup prior, but because of a major loss i am unable to purchase and build a new Mac to the standards necessary for editing.

So I'm driving myself insane trying to connect this and carry on. Hoping someone here can give me some advice. Thanks

DVI-I to DVI-D

Hi, thanks for answering. The only info i can find is on the card itself. It's labeled ATI Radeon X300SEH. I also found the graphics chipset is ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series.

I hope this is enough to help in answering your question. Thanks

The adapter will need for VGA type of monitor; just use regular DVI-D cable and be sure your video card settiings tuned to the type of monitor or try PnP type of driver.

DVI-I to DVI-D

I tried the VGA to DVI-D and it didnt work. But i spent all night last night and all morning today and somehow got it working. Have no idea what i did, but its working. I'm not going to touch a darn thing and just hope it keeps up working.

Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it.

ydayna

DVI-I to DVI-D

Whats strange is i did check out the settings for the monitors. Its not set up for a primary and secondary monitor. Only primary. I did end up doing some checking around trying to figure out ways of it suddenly working. But can't find a reason. I'll find it, the reason though. I'm one of those people who just cannot give up till its found. Thanks

Great info in this thread! I'm trying to go from a MAC AGC to a DVI-I for a second monitor and the adapter or combi of adaptors doesn't exist. They make an AGC to DVI-D so it looks like time for a new video card. Grrrr........

But, at least I now know the dif (other than pin config) between DVI-I and DVI-D, so many thanks.

Michael
A4V Digital Post Production, North Hollywood, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)