DVI vs HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdbamer

Original poster
Feb 21, 2005
When purchasing a hdtv and my HD receiver from Charter has a DVI input only should I look for a t.v. with DVI onlY? From what I've read if your t.v. has HDMI and not DVI you would have to get an adapter and this would hurt the HD picture. I do not plan on using any sound other than Dolby ProLogic(Surround). If I only want to use surround would purchasing a t.v. with HDMI matter or is component cables and DVI/HDMI provide the same picture with the DVI/HDMI just being a convenience??

hdbamer said:
When purchasing a hdtv and my HD receiver from Charter has a DVI input only should I look for a t.v. with DVI onlY? From what I've read if your t.v. has HDMI and not DVI you would have to get an adapter and this would hurt the HD picture. I do not plan on using any sound other than Dolby ProLogic(Surround). If I only want to use surround would purchasing a t.v. with HDMI matter or is component cables and DVI/HDMI provide the same picture with the DVI/HDMI just being a convenience??
Don't really see how an adapter will hurt your picture. It takes a digital signal in on one pin, sends it out on another pin. It's still digital. There's no dB loss involved like there would be with an analog adapter. As for sound, as Cyclone said:
Cyclone said:
Like shap said, the HDMI cable is good if you do not want to use Surround Sound in a separate AV receiver.

If you want to use your AV Receiver for Surround sound (like everyone with a clue) then you'd use the toslink or dig-coax directly to the AV Rec.

The HDMI is only good for people who are going use the HDTV's speakers. Perhaps in the future, AV receivers will have HDMI switching and you'll connect the HDMI cable to the AV Recevier, and then the AV Recevie will have a HDMI or DVI cable outputing to the TV.

That would be simpler than today's DVI/Component & opt/coax switching that AV receivers perform today.

an adapter would, in no way mess with your PQ. Its a simple Pin-to-Pin downgrade or upgrade. Buy an HDTV with both connections if you can, otherwise it doesn't really matter. I would get HDMI, just because you or the next owner of the TV might not have a surround sound system at some point in time, and want that digital audio connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.