DVR 1100c PVR File Location on External Hard Drive

pointclickwait

Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
the ocean
Hello Everyone.

I have an issue I hope someone will be able to assist me in resolving.

Picked up a WD My Book Elite 2 TB yesterday on sale to use with my DVR 1100c.

Plugged it into my DVR 1100c, formated and did a few short test recordings and playbacks. So far so good.

Unplugged the WD My Book Elite from the DVR 1100c and plugged into my PC.

Was unable to locate any files on the WD MY Book Elite when browsing from my PC or Mac.

I found a very small list of drives that may work with the DVR 1100c but the information is very limited and seemingly on the dated side.

Would like to know how to locate and retrieve the recorded files so that I can burn to DVD.

Thanks for the anticipated assistance.

Point Click Wait

Hi Gary Z,

Yea saw that list. Not much of a selections is it.

Will take back the 2TB : ( and look for a 500GB.

But what gives with the ability to record an play back on the 2TB but when I plug into the computer I cannot find any files on the drive.

How does going to the smaller drive fix the issues and allow me to find the files on the drive when connected to the PC or Mac?

Here's what I found... I had to format the drive on my PC to fat32 (I think it is), twice using swissknife program. Then I had to format again with the dvr stb. ---- Then comes the strange part:
Push the right arrow (PLAY) button on the remote and see if the screen comes up with something intellegent on it for drive c:. PRESS EXIT FOR 3 TO 4 SECONDS. Go to the system save screen and save the two files that have the system information on them. Go back with USB function OR play and be sure the files are there!

NOW: whenever you go to record press the play button first and make sure the directory come up with at least those two system information files. If not, press and hold the EXIT button for 3 or 4 seconds, wait 10 seconds - the light on the HD may flash, and when it stops flashing, less then 10 seconds, then push play again. If the directory comes up the drive is awake, recognized by the STB and AFTER you press the EXIT key it is ready to record. If you are using manual record this may allow you to get good recordings on the bigger drives.

I found my problem reading the files on my desktop PC having to do with my desktop PC being 1) too old. therefore 2) too slow and 3) not enough memory.

But the original question about not finding the files with the PC had to do with the file system on the drive not being fully cross compatable with the MS formating procces, 3rd party format needed, then double formating to get both format records corrected on the drive, then reformating on the STB to be sure the format record 'format' matched the STB! {The fat 32 from MS only works with smaller drives-- my 400 MB drive did work OK with MS FAT32 format, but my 500 MB drive did not!

sounds as hard as it was to get it going... But that worked for me. DISCLAIMER: your milage may differ!

I have my drive on the DVR 1100c formatted with fat32-- while my Computer running Vista is formatted with NTFS and my PC reads the files fine.

When I tried my 750 GB Maxtor drive on the DVR 1100c my PC could not find the files like pointclickwait said. I switched to one of the recommended drives and all the problems disappeared.

Last edited:
The drive I am presently using is a "forbiden" (definately will not work) drive, but since I had gotten it for the computer, I decided to try it since my original had gotten full. As i said, MS can not format to fat32 over 500 MB (400 plus) whereas swissknife can. The MS can READ anydrive properly formated to fat32 by swissknife up to the limitation of swissknife - if there is a limitation. I am thinking my drive is 800GB but again I am not sure. I can not call Brian or my son or my son-in-law to verify the maxsize of MS format to fat32.

Our Glorystar STB will only work with fat32....

That said, the safest way is to use a drive that has been tested to work -- then the timers and one push button work correctly. Note that I use 8 GB USB sticks for timer recording.

My Western Digital 1TB hard disk worked great up to the last firmware. Now anything recorded on it is not recognized by the PC. I have tried formatting with both SwissKnife and the HP USB format utility with no success. I now record with a 16GB USB stick. So far the USB stick has worked great.

No PVR changes in past 5 firmware versions. Must have been a coincidence.

We hear this quite frequently on larger drives that it worked fine until ..... The portion of the drive that the receiver indexed must have been filled. Haven't found a 1TB drive yet that would work flawlessly. We may be able to address this with a future firmware update, but no guaranty past 500GB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)