DVR 510?

Is it still possible to use this receiver? I just moved and found it in the Garage.

Do you have Dish network currently? If so then yes, you could add it to your existing acct. if it is clear (doesn't have money owing on it). If you don't have Dish network you are MUCH better off not trying to us it. You would have to pay to have it installed, when you could get all new equipement for free.

In either case call dish and find out if it has any past due money owed on it. If it does it is worthless, if not you could sell it on ebay or something.

Brad

Well I actually am moving in with my dad and he has dish network so Im looking to add a dvr receiver to my room. Would it be stupid to activate this one instead of having them install a new one?

Of the solo DVRs the 510 was better than the 501 and the 508. I would say go for it. It will add $10 to the bill. If it crashes you can always take it off again.

First off, are you on EA or WA? It will not work with EA, nor will they even attempt to activate it for an EA account. Please advice which satellites are/will be rec'd. Or at least your location so we may determine it.

Plus, you want to plug it in and see if you hear any tick tick tick noises coming from it, indicating the HDD is toast.

By the way, they won't install a new or refurb 510. You'd likely get one of the new ViP series. Do you have an HDTV?

First off, are you on EA or WA? It will not work with EA, nor will they even attempt to activate it for an EA account. Please advice which satellites are/will be rec'd. Or at least your location so we may determine it.

Plus, you want to plug it in and see if you hear any tick tick tick noises coming from it, indicating the HDD is toast.

By the way, they won't install a new or refurb 510. You'd likely get one of the new ViP series. Do you have an HDTV?

Good points, if your dads system doesn't see sats 119 & 110, the 510 won't work. If there is an open output on your dads dish and you feel comfortable connecting to it and running a new line yourself to your room, and everything else listed above pans out, you could get it for free with no term commitment (only the monthly increase). If you go through dish, you (your dad) may be able to get a new box installed free, but it will extend your dads contract 2 years. To have someone come out and wire the 510 for you would probably cost ~$100.

Brad is pretty much right, but if your dad has the Service Plan, it will only cost $15 for a tech visit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)