DVR 522/625 features request thread

gtr225

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Hi all, I finally registered here even though I've been read a lot of these threads for some time now. I thought I'd take this time to make a list of some features I would love to see in the next software update for my DVR 522. Right now my 522 has software version L253. I hope DISH will read this because these features would make DISH DVR a lot better and more competitive. Anyone else with ideas please feel free to add ideas.

1. A way to change channels while viewing the program guide without leaving it. I've seen this on DirecTV receivers and I've found it very useful. When browsing the PG you just hit the left direction button and the left-most box with the channel number and abreviation will become highlighted and in the pip the channel will change. On DISH I need to hit ok, the channel will change and leave the guide, then go back.

2. More Program Guide Information. Yet another DirecTV feature, shows also contain information on directors, actors, genres, etc. So for instance, I can find other shows with the same director as the one I'm viewing. On DirecTV, show information is a lot more organized and availible.

3. Channel Logos. I know this sounds really superficial but I really hate not having the logos for all the channels in the program guide. It just makes browsing a lot more accesible and it took me a while to figure out what SCINE stood for anyway.

gtr225 said:
Customize DISH channel 100 so you can choose what channels to see in the six pips
NEVER going to happen. You would need one tuner per PIP.

The current 6-PIP setup is "assembled" at the E* uplink center.

I second the request for feature request 1. That was my favorite feature of DTV receivers - you can use the left arrow button when in the guide to move the highlighted box over the channel # - when you do this you can view the show currently on that channel w/o going to it. If you cancel the guide, you are still on your original channel.

gtr225 said:
Hi all, I finally registered here even though I've been read a lot of these threads for some time now. I thought I'd take this time to make a list of some features I would love to see in the next software update for my DVR 522. Right now my 522 has software version L253. I hope DISH will read this because these features would make DISH DVR a lot better and more competitive. Anyone else with ideas please feel free to add ideas.

1. A way to change channels while viewing the program guide without leaving it. I've seen this on DirecTV receivers and I've found it very useful. When browsing the PG you just hit the left direction button and the left-most box with the channel number and abreviation will become highlighted and in the pip the channel will change. On DISH I need to hit ok, the channel will change and leave the guide, then go back.

2. More Program Guide Information. Yet another DirecTV feature, shows also contain information on directors, actors, genres, etc. So for instance, I can find other shows with the same director as the one I'm viewing. On DirecTV, show information is a lot more organized and availible.

3. Channel Logos. I know this sounds really superficial but I really hate not having the logos for all the channels in the program guide. It just makes browsing a lot more accesible and it took me a while to figure out what SCINE stood for anyway.

i'm just thankfull to have a readable guide--- unlike directv,that is 1 reason i left dtv

How about the ability to export recorded shows to PC? Either a built in ethernet like the TiVo series 2 or enable the USB port to accept an ethernet adapter.

The law will probably prevent the transport of data from the receiver to the computer because of piracy concerns.

Along the lines of a hardware update it would be nice to have a dual tuner with a built in seperator, both remote 1 and 2 be uhf/ir.

Software I would like to see hard drive diagnostics for the techs to have access to,

I;ve heard that through some higly experimental technology, it might be possible to record an audio signal without losing the sound here and there for a couple seconds at a time. If such technology is ever widely available, I think Dish should look into somehow integrating it into the 522.

I have a big and simple feature request. I want to be able to put bookmarks into recorded programs. That way I can watch part fo a show and bookmark my position for later. Also I coudl create multiple bookmarks in one program. That way I could put bookmarks after the commercials and when watching again or someone else watches they could watch the program and when a commercial comes on they could do a chapter skip and skip the commercials.

I know the commercial idea seems silly to some, but I have actually used that feature on my other Hard drive recorder and it worked great and was really neat.

It would also be nice to edit out the beginning and end of programs to get rid of the junk. Also edit out commercials in the middle.

Sorry short post but this web links limitation is stopping me even when I don't have any links!!! I don't have any colons, slashes, or anything else that woudl be part of a url, but it thinks I have one???

Also woudl like to see better search options. For example use plus and minus to specify things that should or shouldn't be there. Like look for "word" but don't record if "bad" is in title. Or multiple and conditions, like this "word" and "that". Or "word" in title and "year" in description, and not "repeat" in description. Maybe make this availible from a advanced search page...

batch play.

when my hard drive is filling up, I want to be able to offload several programs to my DVD recorder or VCR, without having to intervene for each individual show.

SteveC

Stargazer said:
The law will probably prevent the transport of data from the receiver to the computer because of piracy concerns.

Without using hacker talk how is this any different than connecting a dvd recorder which is legal.

Better conflict information when programming a new timer. Right now it shows too much information, and doesn't really show why. You have to decode it, and then look deeper to see if the timer will trigger later in the week for the same show, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)