How I miss Dish Network

garn9173

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
Ankeny, IA
from Sirius to the far better picture quality to NFL Network & ESPN U.

It's almost depressing for me to turn on TV now and see the crappy PQ and unless we move (which I don't forsee happening), i'm stuck with what I have :(

To make a long story short, my wife and I own a townhome, front faces the south and when install was done nearly 3 years ago, they system wasn't grounded, because according to the installer, the only place to install the dish and have it grounded, is on the roof. This past summer, another home owner in my development had a dish struck by lighting that wasn't grounded and it fried their HDTV and 2 receivers. HOA said that if a fire resulted in this, I, the homeowner would be responsible for any all damages to my neighbors.

Bottom line, no place to ground the Dish and therefore no E* :(

BULL!!

You have every right to install that dish. Sounds like they are pissed because the FCC said you can put one up so they are using this as a cop out

Put it up and ground it...They make cable that has the ground wire attached.

yeah, you can ground a dish, I have mine grounded and its not on the roof, you really need to reasearch this one, someone is shoving something up your behind!

All you really need to do is use a grounding block on your coaxial wire which should have been done by your installer. You can run a new coax with a extra wire and use it as a ground. But lets face the facts if your dish gets struck by lightning directly your TV will go too and if the dish wasn't there then it goes thur your roof instead. I had a customer who's neighbors tree was struck by lightning about 25' for the dish there Dish Network system was fine Grounding block for coax only but the static electricity in the air took out there TV's SVHS input, Surround sound receiver and 3 remote controls on there coffee table in there house 45' away. So I wouldn't worry that much about lightning hitting your dish just ground it a the coax just before it comes in the house. If god wants your TV blown up he'll get it one way or another he doesn't just look for Dish Network customers.

P.S. Thats what insurance is for they hear lightning strike they probably even come out just get estimates.

it doesnt matter if it grounded or not when it comes to lightning. its GONNA take stuff out. I personally believe...and im probably wrong, but it seems like grounding the dish is more often attractent to lightning. but we do it anyway. there has to be a way to get it grounded.

Actually, I think that the purpose of grounding is to keep a electrical charge from building up on your antenna or dish. That makes it less likely to be struck.

Cyclone said:
Actually, I think that the purpose of grounding is to keep a electrical charge from building up on your antenna or dish. That makes it less likely to be struck.

You are exactly correct Cyclone :)

The #1 reason for Grounding is so that people that dont know what they are doing go out and mess with their dish dont get killed . Its grounded to keep it from being a SHOCK hazard.

Bruno said:
The #1 reason for Grounding is so that people that dont know what they are doing go out and mess with their dish dont get killed . Its grounded to keep it from being a SHOCK hazard.

Very true. Grounding is for NEC. Mainly to keep all conductive surfaces at equal potential.

That may not be why "you" ground, but is why we are required to ground.

Even a self standing flag pole must be grounded. Or a supporting Ibeam in your house. Bonded may be more correct.

the way I understood it through the subcontractor was that to properly ground the system, a major electrical source had to be near by, like a central air unit, which on the south side of the building, there's no such thing.

I read through the HOA rules and I interpeted the roof as being a "commons" area, which, in the eyes of the FCC, the HOA can restrict access.

So, for the next 15 month's, i'm stuck with Mediacom. Oh well, I got a DVR out of it.

garn9173 said:
the way I understood it through the subcontractor was that to properly ground the system, a major electrical source had to be near by, like a central air unit, which on the south side of the building, there's no such thing.

I read through the HOA rules and I interpeted the roof as being a "commons" area, which, in the eyes of the FCC, the HOA can restrict access.

So, for the next 15 month's, i'm stuck with Mediacom. Oh well, I got a DVR out of it.
Who owns and manages the roof? You or the HOA? In cases where you own your part of the roof, they don't have a say. But if they manage the roof and maintenance, then yes they have the right to say no because it's their property.

You dish have to be ground it but if you want to be protected from ligthning, you better get a good surge protector like Panamax surge protection. The surge protection is the way to be safe from ligthning not ground it, believe me. People spend 2K-4K or more on HDTV and they don't buy a good surge protector for $50-$100 and risk his expensive equipment. I live and work for Dish in Florida(Capital of lightning) and I saw many equipment(TV's) blow up just because it does not have any surge protection even the Dish is ground it and it did'nt get hit from a lightning. My $0.02.

I agree - except "you live for Dish". Unh - isn't that going a bit too far? :shocked :D :D

Anyway, I'm from the #2 lightning county in the country - Teller Co., CO, and I've seen the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)