DVR 522/625 features request thread

Stargazer said:
The law will probably prevent the transport of data from the receiver to the computer because of piracy concerns.

I like the Idea of hooking your DVR to PC, as far as the piracy issues, In my opinion, hooking to a computer, is no different then hooking a VCR or a DVD Recorder to a TV.

I think the same but the FCC or other organization(s) do not think the same.

You can pause shows when swapping PIP if I recall correctly (at least you can on the 721).

The DMCA law specifically treats DIGITAL copying different than ANALOG. There is already legal precedent "fair use" that allows copying analog for personal use, but digital copying is supposed to be restricted so that unlimited copies cannot be made. Thus the various schemes where if they give you, for example, the ability to burn a direct digital copy of something, that copy should not be able to be copied.

Side note: there is some useful information in the "dishrip" group at yahoo that details how to circumvent this on the DVR522/625 by removing the drive, copying the files from it, and converting them for viewing. It remains to be seen whether this is actually legal, but as long as it is done for personal use only and not to share copies with others, I doubt whether anyone should worry.

Seeing how the files are not encrypted, it would not violate the DMCA. The DMCA only protects digital media that is encrypted.

The recording options seem to vary depending on the method used to find a show to record. I.e setting up a program to record from the guide vs. finding it via search vs. creating a Dish Pass. Some consistency would be nice.

And I would really like to be able to change which TV the recorded show is on. When I'm about to get kicked off of TV2 because a show is about to record, I want to change the recording to TV1.

Jump To:

#1: I would like a JUMP TO: timeline for paused or DVR'ed events.

Example:
When paused, pressing the down arrow would put you into the timeline then the left/right arrow would move the playback indicator to a specified location (like windows media player does) rather than review at up to 300x. Pressing (un)pause or play would pick up the playback at that point.

May times I review back the full 2 hours and skip forward just because I got busy and missed a show or came in after the news was gone so I review to see what I've missed.

Would be nice feature on :eureka ALL DVR's. :eureka

The next would be as mentioned above.

#2:Editing out the commercials.

#3: A highlight color of DVR'ed events to show which I have already viewed (or partially viewed). (At present, I have to select the event and play it to see if I've viewed it). Taken from the format of email programs, you could mark as 'viewed' or mark as 'partially viewed' just by the highlight color.

If I have 'xx' number of 'Backyard Oasis' events on my DVR, I have to remember or start to play each one without knowing if I've already viewed it or not. Currently I 'LOCK' the viewed ones, but it is a pain, because I then have to go back and unlock it to delete it later on. VERY TEDIOUS!

#4: Trimming the 1min before & 3min after(which can be handled by setting your record defaults to 0 and 0 to eliminate this on future recorded events)

#5: User definable guide/favorites colors. Not the standard 6 colors that are set on the Favorites setup list.

#6 Also when cycling through favorites lists, if the channel I am viewing is not on the particular favorites, it will list the lowest closest channel to the one I am viewing. Then when I go back to all chan or all sub or the fav list that the channel I am viewing is on, it stays on the lowest chan from the previous guide list.

This is particularly annoying when I select my 'Sirius' favorites list with just the (6000's) that I like and I go back to all sub, all chan or my 'movie' fav list(300's) I have to page down through hundreds of channels or exit the guide and come back to refresh the list. It wouldn't be that hard to refresh the guide for every fav list. (really low on the totem pole, but worth mentioning)

How about a screensaver function so when I have my TV paused, I don't burn my projection screen TV!!! As it is now, I have to pause, then shut off my TV when I need something paused for 5 mins or more so that I don't burn my screen... very annoying!

Same here. My $29 dvd player is smart enough to do this, why can't my DVR.

doogie said:
How about a screensaver function so when I have my TV paused, I don't burn my projection screen TV!!! As it is now, I have to pause, then shut off my TV when I need something paused for 5 mins or more so that I don't burn my screen... very annoying!

I would like to see a different sort of favorites--when I was on Comcast, they had a favorites button on the remote. You could choose which channels you wanted as favorites and then just hit the button and surf to each of your favorites. I miss that.

before anything else...

Love all the good ideas.
Would like to have 'em on my 508, in so far as it's capable (one tuner).

HOWEVER . . .

The number one item on my features request list (and should be on yours), is...

(drum roll, please...)

FIX THE BUGS !!!

If they fixed the bugs we wouldn't have anything to talk about...

Look how quiet it got once ESPNU, NFL and CSTV got added...all the political fighting stopped...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)