DVR 522: Can I move it to a different room?

RenaissanceMan

Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but the folks on the phone at the Dish Network tech support have utterly confused me. I currently have a DVR 522 in our master bedroom (TV1) which drives both the master bedroom TV and the TV in the living room downstairs (TV2). My question is this: I want to move the DVR to the living room TV, instead... Is there any reason why I can't do this? Will the only thing that changes be the needed swapping of remotes? Or is this more complicated than it looks?

Thanks in advance-

Adam

Well as long as your cables are long enough and not hidden in walls, go for it. You may need barrel connectors or replace the existing feeds from the dish to the LR.

You need both sat feeds from the dish to go to the 522.

The output to TV2 can be run from the 522 to your 2nd TV back in the bedroom with the cable that is already there and like you said, just swap remotes.

There may be other cable configurations depending on combiners and splitters used during your initial install for TV2 that need to be swapped around, but it can be done.

Used tape and label the cables before removing them if you are not familiar with your setup.

Worst case, you can buddy up to your local installer and see if they will swap it around for a nominal fee saving you the time and headache.

Mark_AR said:
Well as long as your cables are long enough and not hidden in walls, go for it. You may need barrel connectors or replace the existing feeds from the dish to the LR.
You need both sat feeds from the dish to go to the 522.
The output to TV2 can be run from the 522 to your 2nd TV back in the bedroom with the cable that is already there and like you said, just swap remotes.
There may be other cable configurations depending on combiners and splitters used during your initial install for TV2 that need to be swapped around, but it can be done.
..EDIT.. CORRECTIONS MADE BELOW:
Mark, thanks for the reply. Well, here is where I get confused. :confused:
Right now there is only a single cable coming out of the wall into our master bedroom. From there, it's connected to a splitter, which I understand to be a 'diplexer'. The 'diplexer' has 2 outputs: 1 side is labeled 'satellite', and the other is labeled 'vhf/uhf'. The satellite side is split into Sat1 and Sat2, going into the satellite INs 1 & 2 on the 522. The 'vhf/uhf' side of the diplexer is connected to the 'CH21-69 out'. The 'TVchan 3-4 out' on the back of the 522 is connected to the bedroom TV.
So, does that mean that both satellite signals are hosted by a single cable? And if so, can I do the simple location swap I asked about earlier?
Are you able to tell from my description if I could just simply do the exact same cable splitting from the downstairs living room going to the DVR, and just run the single cable upstairs straight into the TV?
Thanks again for the help!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I understand your confusion. You do NOT need two lines going to the receiver if you have the correct LNBF/switch which you obviously do. You just have to move/extend the feed cable from Sat to your living room. You could barrell connect your two lines in the bedroom, becoming the feed line, but you would need to get another line back from the receiver to the bedroom. Either way, you will have to do some wiring.

So, does that mean that both satellite signals are hosted by a single cable? And if so, can I do the simple location swap I asked about earlier?
Yes, and yes.

You're going to have to re-connect the diplexer (the Sat-UHF/VHF box) that is OUTSIDE somewhere. Right now the outside diplexer's UHF/VHF port is going to your other room. It's Sat port is going to the dish, and it's single-side port is going to where your receiver currently is. Swap that connection with the UHF/VHF connection.

Does that make sense?

Simple Simon, I THINK (not real sure) we may be confusing the man again. He has a 522 and if he has a DPP dual, he's got one line from the sat to the receiver. If this was a fresh install, would not the cable from the 522 to the living room be just that...from bedroom to LR only? I do not have an outside diplexor for my 625. Not challenging, just working with my installation in mind.

KAB said:
Simple Simon, I THINK (not real sure) we may be confusing the man again. He has a 522 and if he has a DPP dual, he's got one line from the sat to the receiver. If this was a fresh install, would not the cable from the 522 to the living room be just that...from bedroom to LR only? I do not have an outside diplexor for my 625. Not challenging, just working with my installation in mind.
In post #3, R-Man posted that he has a diplexer and a DPP Separator (he didn't SAY that last, but it's CERTAIN).

It's a VERY common installation - I do them all the time.

All he has to do is "flip" the two rooms. My instructions are exactly that.

Yep all hthe poster has to do is find the diplexor in that is located before the receiver location. Then just flip the lines. That would make the living room the main location and the bedromm the second. They will have to move the receiver though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)