DVR 522 Dial out

hdtv 2003

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 25, 2004
How often should the 522 dial out? I have Vonage service and I am able to look at my billing in real time and my 522 dials out constantly about 10 times an hour for 1 minute. It does this for 2 hours or so, stops for a while then starts doing it again. I am on a 500 minute plan w/Vonage and this thing was eating up my minutes so I unplug the 522 except for about an hour out of each day.

I had the samething with my vonage, I think its because it doesn't "connect" with Dish and it just keeps trying a number of time before it gives up and trys again later.
Using a broadband phone system is a hit and miss when it comes to Dish receivers connecting with Dish when the receivers dials out.

I have Vonage and had the same problem. I put a DSL filter in and the problem was gone. I've also heard the bandwidth setting must be on high.

Dial Out

I also have my old DSL filters still inline, but here is the kicker; when the phone line is unpledgged i get the nasty hook up you're phone line or you will be charged 5 bucks. When the phone line is hooked up I don't get that message, so it must be dialling out and connecting.

I tried everything and couldn't get nothing to work so my 322 would dial out. My 510 would connect 50/50. I was on the phone with Vonage Tech Support for about 30 minutes and they tried everything and I still had no luck :( .

I also have Vonage and two 522's. My Vonage logs don't show any calls being made out at anywhere near the 3:00AM time they are set for. I'm too new to Dish Network so see if I've gotten dinged for the $5 on a bill yet. Any thoughs on this? If I test dial out on the diagnostic screen it does succeed.

jdr01930 said:
I also have Vonage and two 522's. My Vonage logs don't show any calls being made out at anywhere near the 3:00AM time they are set for. I'm too new to Dish Network so see if I've gotten dinged for the $5 on a bill yet. Any thoughs on this? If I test dial out on the diagnostic screen it does succeed.

Use the dishHome button and see if you can connect and check your bill thru the Sat. This will tell you if you can connect properly using Vonage.
I suspect the nightly 3am check is a dial tone only check.

Looks like you're right about the dial tone only check. Tried to view my bill via dishHome, it says dialing, then fails and says try again later. Rebooted my Motorola ATA just for kicks, no change. I have vonage set to highest quality setting. I tried adding a prefix of *99 to the 522, but it wont take a "*" . I think *99 just puts Vonage up to the same "highest quality" setting that I'm already at anyway.

I heard about someone using DSL filter on the 522, but I image that would not apply to a Cable Modem user! But I heard of stranger things...

Any other bright ideas? I dread calling Vonage support. Takes forever and sounds like they don't really have the solution. I am a techie by trade so, so it's ok to use the big words and acronymns!

Umm actually - could you people who mentioned using DSL filters confirm: I Assume you are actually using DSL??? Or is filtering a Vonage phone line connected via a cable modem an "undocumented feature" of these filters...

Yet another question on this:
Is there anyway to dumb down the 522 so it dials out at 9600?
That's how I got my fax to work through Vonage.

jdr01930 said:
Umm actually - could you people who mentioned using DSL filters confirm: I Assume you are actually using DSL??? Or is filtering a Vonage phone line connected via a cable modem an "undocumented feature" of these filters...
Well when I talked to Vonage support about my 322 connection they said that the Linksys router/vonage modem(all one unit bought at Best Buy)has its own type of filter installed. But I installed a DSL filter backwards like some people state to do and it will still not connect. My 322 did connect once out of about 100 tries.
I also have Cable connection.

Ok I just got off the phone w/ Dish support. Turns out my 522's have been successfully dialing and registering, even though I can't use dial out and connect to check my bill etc. The 522 just needs a quick call to register, and it's apparrently stable enough on Vonage to do that. No extra charges!!

He also said they do not necessarily make the registration call at time indicated on the 522 set up screen. He told me the dates they received the calls, and sure enough, my Vonage log shows calls to their 800 # on those dates - afternoon and evening though, not the 3:00am time configured on the 522.

Cool. So I asked him:
1. Anyway to dumb down the modem speed on the 522 so I can view bill on TV etc?
2. Any way to get a * in the dial prefix so I can use the various Vonage codes.

He checked, didn't know, then transfered me to 2nd level support, who also had to check into it. 2nd level support put me on hold, and then something went wack and the call got screwed up in their system. it said "you have been transfered an echostar extension that does not exist", then fast busy and end of call.

Oh well, as long as the registration process is working I probably shouldn't mess with it anyway. At least the important function works - really all I care about.

What if your broadband phone that you have your Dish receiver connected to isn't that same number they have on record, does that matter when the receiver calls into Dish?? Does Dish use the caller ID or does it actually get the receiver ID when it calls??

thiggin2 said:
What if your broadband phone that you have your Dish receiver connected to isn't that same number they have on record, does that matter when the receiver calls into Dish?? Does Dish use the caller ID or does it actually get the receiver ID when it calls??

DISH specifically states your HOME phone line. By "home," they mean the phone number of record. I believe that it used to confirm that the receiver is not somewhere it's not supposed to be. I can't say for sure whether it matters but I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

chaddux said:
DISH specifically states your HOME phone line. By "home," they mean the phone number of record. I believe that it used to confirm that the receiver is not somewhere it's not supposed to be. I can't say for sure whether it matters but I wouldn't be surprised if it does.
Well my HOME phone line is broadband, I haven't chaged number with them yet because I'm waiting for the number transfer.

I have had Vonage for a year and Dish for about 9 months. I don't use the 522 to look at my bill (it's much easier to do it online). I have never been charged the $5.00 fee. I have purchase a bunch of PPV movies and they have appeared on my bill.

Apparently, Vonage is good enough for these things, but not so good for an active dialed in session.

It's no big deal for me. There's nothing that it needs to dial up that I am interested in. If you want to use those features, Vonage is probably not for you.

mrschwarz said:
Apparently, Vonage is good enough for these things, but not so good for an active dialed in session.

It's no big deal for me. There's nothing that it needs to dial up that I am interested in. If you want to use those features, Vonage is probably not for you.

Yeah, those features (billing etc via DishHome etc) are no big deal. My only point was that if you are attemting to use those dishHome features to confirm dial up is working (for purposes of registering the unit to avoid the fee), it's NOT a valid test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)