DVR 522 Installation Problems

marathoner

Original poster
May 3, 2004
I was scheduled to have a DVR522 installed last Friday. Unfortunately, some unexpected problems cropped up.

The installer said the DVR522 had to be installed in a room where there were two coax jacks. My house is new and there is a coax connector in every single room. I then asked that the DVR522 be kept in the utility room, where all the cables come together. He said one of the TVs has to be in the same room as the DVR522, because of the limitations of the remote with TV #1.

Since it was not possible to install the DVR522, I was persuaded to downgrade to a DVR510. If I wanted to hook up the second TV to a DVR, I would have to pay an additional $10 per month($5 for VOD, and $5 for each additional receiver).

Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Marathoner

The installer was a lazy P.O.S. that gives the rest of us a bad name.

I don't know who you ordered through, but I'm under the impression that the standard deal is a 2 TV hookup - or 4 if you add a 322. Your mileage may vary.

HOWEVER, there are MANY simple solutions to what I see about your install. Been there, done that. An installer's job is to run coax, so unless you stopped him for some reason, he should've ran a dual RG-6 (yes, it DOES need 2 feeds) to whatever room you wanted for TV1. Then, he could've used the house's coax to run TV2 to any other room that had a feed - and thereby gotten away easy in the process!

Alternatively, it could've been installed in the utility room - if you added a remote repeater or bought the UHF remote upgrade for TV1 - either way, you'd have to pay for that - it's not standard.

You could've even run both TV outputs into the same cable and fed the entire house, and with the UHF upgrade, and only 2 people in the house, just carry the remote with you and use it to control "your" tuner and watch it from any TV (you'd probably have to control each TV with it's own remote or drive yourself crazy).

I've even done an install where I brought one sat feed into a room via the house cable, and the second feed into the adjoining room, then punched an extension for it through the wall to the receiver, and brought the TV2 feed back through the same hole! A bit kludgy, but worked just fine.

Call whomever you ordered from, and tell them to come back out there and do the job right!

I agree with SS. CAll em back - NOW!

Don't wait.

There is no reason for you not to have a 522.

Technically there is also a way for you to have it in the utility closet also.

With software revision L1.62 you can use a UHF-PRo remote for TV1. It would be a bit more hassle for the initial setup, but I see no reason it 'couldn't be done. The worst case would be that you would need to purchase a UHF-Pro remote for TV1.

My personal preference is to have it out near one of the TV's but with the UHF remote 1 option, there is really no reason that you couldn't hide it.

How much does this UHF-Pro remote for TV1 cost? With this I could keep the 522 in the utility room, right? I have a finished basement, and I think it would be difficult to run additional cable to where I need it. I will be very happy if this solves my problem.

I found out about the UHF-Pro upgrade here on Satguys - I forget which thread. Anyway, it's EchoStar Technical Bulletin # 130316. The part # to order for the 522 is 128580. There's also one for the 322 - part 128579 - don't let them get it mixed up.

No idea what the cost is, probably around $50.

SimpleSimon said:
I found out about the UHF-Pro upgrade here on Satguys - I forget which thread. Anyway, it's EchoStar Technical Bulletin # 130316. The part # to order for the 522 is 128580. There's also one for the 322 - part 128579 - don't let them get it mixed up.

No idea what the cost is, probably around $50.
Simon isn't so simple. He's absolutely right about the lazy lout that told you it wasn't his job to run new cable. That's what he's paid to do. He's supposed to use the existing cable to backfeed TV2 to the rest of the house on the current distribution system.

But if you like the idea of putting the DVR522 in the utility room and converting TV1 to UHF, the green key TV1 UHF remote kit will set you back $34.95.

JohnDoe#2 said:
Simon isn't so simple. He's absolutely right about the lazy lout that told you it wasn't his job to run new cable. That's what he's paid to do. He's supposed to use the existing cable to backfeed TV2 to the rest of the house on the current distribution system.

But if you like the idea of putting the DVR522 in the utility room and converting TV1 to UHF, the green key TV1 UHF remote kit will set you back $34.95.
Thank you. :)

And at that price, I might pick up the remote kits as a "just in case". :)

Thanks for the help. I called Dish, and they confirmed everything you guys stated. So, I will get my DVR 522 installed this Friday.

SimpleSimon said:
Thank you. :)

And at that price, I might pick up the remote kits as a "just in case". :)

And, if you're buying the UHF TV1 remote, be sure that they leave you the IR TV1 remote that comes with the system. The installer may be tempted to stick it in his pocket since you don't 'need' it. You can sell it on eBay, and make up part of your cost.

Now, if they provide the UHF TV1 remote at no extra cost, by all means, the IR one isn't yours.

BTW, the standard TV2 replacement remote is the remote you'll use for TV1 once that tuner is set to accept UHF Pro signals. The upgrade part is just the little green key that has "TV1 UHF Pro" stamped on it, instead of TV2. The wholesale cost is the same as any other UHF remote, i.e. 510, 721, etc. The cost for the key is a couple bucks.

http://rweb.echostar.com/service/tech/03_23_04.pdf

sneader said:
How will this help? What product(s) are on this page that will get me a TV1 Remote for my 522 that will work throughout the house? :confused:

- Scott
I think you want the DISH Network Universal UHF DVR Remote.

Hmmm I don't know... since it doesn't say UHF PRO, and it doesn't say whether it controls TV1 or TV2, I'm a little worried about that.

Sorry, we had to hide the UHF "keys" in our online store. DISH sent us the wrong parts. They sent us the "TV2" UHF Pro, "TV1" IR reversible key that is standard on the TV2 remote. We requested the "TV1" UHF Pro, "TV2" UHF Pro key.

I will update the page stating it is unavailable.

By the way, another TV2 remote would work just fine. You would just have to remember which remote was actually programmed for TV1.