DVR 625 Forcing Anamorphic

asriel

Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Illinois
I've noticed that the DVR (I have a 625) is forcing anamorphic full screen on all my channels. The main thing that caught my attention was not that I was lacking the black bars on the screen but that stuff is getting cut off on the sides of the screen! It's not the TVs, they both displayed letterbox just fine before. We've had Dish for over a year and the problem appears to be recent although I can't say how recent since I didn't really pay attention to summer TV.

How can I set it back to letterbox?

It sounds like you are in some kind of zoom. There is a button on your remote at the bottom, it is an Asterisk and says Format. Push this button as many times as it takes for your TV to say 'Normal."

I tried that already but all the asterisk does is take me to the DVR menu. The asterisk says "< / Format" above it. (The < is a left arrow.)

A 625 if not a HD box but a SD box and doesn't have a way to format the picture. It is set at standard picture all the time. Are you sure you didn't change a setting on your TV by any chance?

The local channel probably has dual feeds, one SD and one HD. Often the local channels' SD feed is, as n0qcu says, centercut, or zoomed to fill the screen. If it were anamorphic, everybody would be tall and skinny.

Dish probably carries both feeds from the affiliate, rather than downres'ing the HD feed, and giving that to you since you don't have HD service (at least on that TV). This is Dish's not-so-subtle way of encouraging you to go hi-def.

The local channel probably has dual feeds, one SD and one HD. Often the local channels' SD feed is, as n0qcu says, centercut, or zoomed to fill the screen. If it were anamorphic, everybody would be tall and skinny.

Dish probably carries both feeds from the affiliate, rather than downres'ing the HD feed, and giving that to you since you don't have HD service (at least on that TV). This is Dish's not-so-subtle way of encouraging you to go hi-def.

I have to disagree with the notion that it is Dish's way of getting subs to upgrade to Hi-def because the vast majority of the not-so-technically inclined public prefer a "center-cut" (picture fills the 4X3 screen) picture to the black bars. We would be hearing many more complaints if the SD LIL's were all black barred on SD STB's. Now that would be a way of encouraging and HD upgrade.

I was going off the pictures on the Dish website and it looks like the 625 but I guess it could be the 622. We had it installed Summer 2008. I don't believe it's the TV as it is happening on both TVs that are connected to the DVR. The other TV we have on a converter box is getting the letterbox format.

It's a recent problem, they were letterbox when we got it and then slowly stuff started switching to full screen. I've got stuff recorded to the DVR that still shows in letterbox, like BSG, but current stuff is all fullscreen. And I know it's supposed to be letterbox because it's letterbox on our TV that has the digital converter box.

CBS cuts back and forth which is especially annoying. Sometimes it'll be in letterbox and come back from the commercial break full screen, cut to letterbox for a minute or two then return to full screen.

Edit: The box and remotes look exactly like this:
Dish_DVR_522_lrg.jpg

CBS cuts back and forth which is especially annoying. Sometimes it'll be in letterbox and come back from the commercial break full screen, cut to letterbox for a minute or two then return to full screen.

That's definitely the station, not Dish. Again, if you had HD gear and an HD sub from Dish, you wouldn't experience this. Call the station and complain to the engineer or somebody in programming about the switching back-and-forth problem, but don't call Dish (unless you want to fork over some money to upgrade...)

But why does it only do it through Dish and only recently? It doesn't do this over the converter box.

I'm in Chicago if that makes any difference.

if you talking about your local channels,
then they are zoomed & cropped by E*.
You ARE losing the sides of the programs.
E* used to have SD(4x3) local feeds,but now they use HD(16x9) local feeds and zoom and the sides cropped off to eliminate the black bars to make the picture 4x3.
You do not have an option on a SD receiver to choose format.
SD customers are "stuck" with whatever is sent to our receivers.

Ugh. That sucks. Thanks for the information, retTech. I have no desire to pay for HD any time soon so I guess I'll have to look for a new satellite/cable provider when the Dish contract is up. It's a shame because I like Dish, but I want to see all of the show I'm watching.

Ugh. That sucks. Thanks for the information, retTech. I have no desire to pay for HD any time soon so I guess I'll have to look for a new satellite/cable provider when the Dish contract is up. It's a shame because I like Dish, but I want to see all of the show I'm watching.

Asriel,

All OTA television is broadcast in 16x9, as of June 13th 2009. All third party providers, satellite and cable, are modifying the original 16x9 broadcasts to fit 4x3 SD customers. This means the third party provider will have to either Crop, Zoom, or stretch the image to fit 4x3 screens. Since Cropping a 16x9 image to 4x3 does not distort the original image and some content is 4x3 anyway with Pillarbars the best way to alter the original image is to crop the 16x9 pillars.

All third party providers are cropping OTA 16x9 broadcasts down to 4x3. All OTA broadcasts are still accommodating for 4x3 by keeping network bugs, as well as trying to center Sports action inside the 4x3 box, most dramas, sitcoms are still purposely centering the dramas in the 4x3 box as well.

John

hi Asriel

I am new to this site as well and have the same complaint as you do ...

earlier this year, I emailed and snail-mailed the local network affiliates here in Atlanta and Dish and included ‘screens hots’ from my tv showing them that shows are having the left and right sides of the screen cut off ... never heard from anything from Dish and wrote everybody there that I could think of.

After one of my letters reached the local NBC affiliate, they started re-formatting network shows from the ‘centered and enlarged’ version to wide screen (The Office, for example) but you could see the broadcast revert to ‘centered and enlarged’ during the commercial block between shows, then someone would “push a button” and it would zoom back to widescreen (with the bars on top and bottom)

... I recently found this Satellite Guys site and posted “What’s the deal with the enlarged picture on broadcasts ... “ because i knew there had to be folks on here more knowledgeable than I.
Sure enough, it seems that those of us with SD (standard def, right, guys?) are stuck with whatever the local network affiliates want to shove at us.

I recently started watching a couple shows on the local ‘CW’ affiliate and did not bother with them previously. I recently sent them an email asking why the broadcasts are so (stupidly) enlarged and actually got a reply (a first!)... as follows:

“We only output one format from the station, 16:9 HD. Granted, 85% of our programs are Standard Def 4:3, which leaves blank bars at the side after the upconversion. We are owned by CBS, whose policy on conversion back to SD is to use a "center cut" format. This puts the picture back to full 4:3 for viewers that have a 4:3 tv. If cable or dish providers were to "letterbox" the HD to SD, you would end up with a small picture in the middle of the screen with black around all four sides when a 4:3 originated show is being run. Most of the Network HD shows are filmed with 4:3 viewing accounted for by keeping the action, or interest, within the 4:3 area.

Cable boxes have a setup choice for output format that will accommodate different displays and formats to suit the viewer, including letterbox to a 4:3 display. I am not sure about the receivers for Dish, but you may want to check with them to see if their HD box will do similar. I have checked with Dish on their format conversion to SD, and they do the center cut by default, unless asked for something different.
Since the CBS policy is for center cut, this is what we have them run.”

As a viewer, I really hate this policy amongst the big networks... HBO runs their signature series (True Blood) in widescreen but enlarges and centers most movies for instance. To date, only NBC and now Fox have started offering some shows in widescreen on the SD feeds. I would have loved to see ‘Flash Forward’ in wide screen last night.

But most of the bourgeoisie want their screen filled top to bottom and side to side. so much for a director making a show in wide screen.

I do not have a 625, but it might have the capacity to adjust for 3X4 and 16X9 screens, look in the menus and see if it is set to 16X9 for your 4X3 TV.

To date, only NBC and now Fox have started offering some shows in widescreen on the SD feeds.
There is NO SD version of NBC programming. NBC sends everything to stations in HD. The station will downconvert the feed to SD if needed.

NBC (if not other nets) is also working toward implementing 'AFD' for their programs. Can't remember what it stands for, but it's a 'flag' embedded in the video that is supposed to tell receivers what to do with the downconverted signal (letterbox or center cut). The problem with leaving all of network in letterbox is 4x3 commercials will become "postage stamp" (black bars around all four sides).