DVR 625 Recording Flexibility - TV1 or TV2?

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
Is there any way to make my DVR 625 record and prompt me--on the fly, so to speak--as to whether I want TV1 or TV2 to record an event? Here's an example of what I would like:

I am viewing Channel 116 on TV1 and the current time is 4:15pm. I want to record a program at 8:00pm today on the same channel. So, I move ahead in the guide to 8:00pm and hit SELECT. Whether I want to record this program ONCE, ALL EPISODES, etc, is there not a way to receive a prompt (a choice) between TV1 or TV2, then highlight and select it and that's it? If there's a conflct with either TV1 or TV2 at 8:00pm then it should give me the option to resolve it (in whatever manner I deem best) or simply cancel.

Would this not be just as simple (or simpler) than having the Record Plus feature and trying to determine how it fits my household's viewing so that DVR recordings don't conflict with either TV's viewing? The issue is that both TV1 and TV2 are viewed an equal amount of the day but at almost opposite times--TV2 is viewed mostly daytime hours; TV1 mostly evening/night. On the weekends, it's both at any given time. So, there is a predictable pattern as to how often and when TV1 and TV2 are viewed, but configuring Record Plus isn't this flexible. This is why I would like this "on the fly" control of which TV gets the DVR recording.

There may be no real solution to my request, but I would think someone else reading this would like this kind of flexibility.

Eric

Is there any way to make my DVR 625 record and prompt me--on the fly, so to speak--as to whether I want TV1 or TV2 to record an event? Here's an example of what I would like:

I am viewing Channel 116 on TV1 and the current time is 4:15pm. I want to record a program at 8:00pm today on the same channel. So, I move ahead in the guide to 8:00pm and hit SELECT. Whether I want to record this program ONCE, ALL EPISODES, etc, is there not a way to receive a prompt (a choice) between TV1 or TV2, then highlight and select it and that's it? If there's a conflct with either TV1 or TV2 at 8:00pm then it should give me the option to resolve it (in whatever manner I deem best) or simply cancel.

Would this not be just as simple (or simpler) than having the Record Plus feature and trying to determine how it fits my household's viewing so that DVR recordings don't conflict with either TV's viewing? The issue is that both TV1 and TV2 are viewed an equal amount of the day but at almost opposite times--TV2 is viewed mostly daytime hours; TV1 mostly evening/night. On the weekends, it's both at any given time. So, there is a predictable pattern as to how often and when TV1 and TV2 are viewed, but configuring Record Plus isn't this flexible. This is why I would like this "on the fly" control of which TV gets the DVR recording.

There may be no real solution to my request, but I would think someone else reading this would like this kind of flexibility.

Eric

Nope, there is no option for selecting what Tuner you want a program to record on. It will only use the "Default" Tuner if you use Record Plus or will record on the Tuner you select if Record Plus is turned off.

It would be a nice feature to have though.

Geoff

This is one thing I hate about the 625.

I am always using record plus to change around which tuner is the one needed to record a certain show.

So.....if I am at TV2 and it is RP Default and a timer is about to go off (which will cut into what I am currently watching) I have to go into prefs, change the default tuner to TV1, then go to the timer that is about to go off and skip it then restore it - which will then have it fire on TV1.

Talk about a pain!

I bet it would take Dish engineers 15 seconds to build in what you are talking about as it actually already asks what tuner you want to record to when you are in single mode and you hit record on the fly...

I have my 622 in single, I could care less what tuner it records on, and it never asks.
I record anything that I might like and seldom watch anything live

Nope, there is no option for selecting what Tuner you want a program to record on. It will only use the "Default" Tuner if you use Record Plus or will record on the Tuner you select if Record Plus is turned off.

It would be a nice feature to have though.

Geoff

I would love this feature added too like Eric explains. I have my "default" tuner set to TV1 using RecordPlus, but for some reason it always defaults to TV2. This doesn't allow me to record a program while watching another.

Could this possibly be a "bug" with the new L4.48 firmware?

I hate this about the 625, it doesn't appear to be capable of DVRing 2 shows at the same time, I have timers, and my bro has timers, and his always manage to override ours, even though at the time TV1 is doing nothing.

If I turn Record Plus on, that's bad because then TV1 will be flooded recording all day long. The most irritating aspect of this is that HE HAS HIS OWN dvr (his computer!)

And there's no way to lock it so TV2 can't record ;)

I agree. In the Record Plus settings there should be a setting for "Ask me each time", as well as TV1 and TV2.

would be nice if tehre was just a toggle button on the remote to send the recording to the other tuner at anytime. even in the middle of the recording. kinda like putting a single/dual mode button on the remotes instead of the dvr. so if ur at tv2, its no big deal to toggle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)