DVR 721 Installation Question - No Switch

Cliff498_2

Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Houston TX
I am looking to replace my 4900 receiver with a 721 that I recently bought. The 4900 is connected to the 61.5 satellite only (Skyangel) via the traditional, Legacy, Dish 500 Dual.
(4 ports, 2 each for “119” and “110”)

I previously ran 1 port from “119” to a SW21, and another cable from “110” to the other input of the SW1. When pointing the Dish 500 antenna, I ended up with a signal strength of 125, so I must have locked on via one LNBF pretty good. (Remember, only 61.5 satellite)

My question is, if I connect the other wire to the same LNBF, and take the two outputs from the single LNBF and run them directly to the two Sat inputs to the 721, will it work? Thus, removing the SW21 from the equation – no switches.

I have very short cable runs.

Thanks,
----------------------

Below are some instructions I saw for the 721:

Initial Software Download for the DVR 721
1. On initial power up, the receiver "should" go to the Point Dish/Signal screen. If the receiver does not automatically go to the Point DISH/Signal screen then please reset the "Factory Defaults" and cycle power.
2. Verify the signal bar is green and indicates "locked".
3. Perform a check switch test, after the test is complete verify that the switch matrix for both tuners match up 100% (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT)!
4. After the switch test is done wait approximately 5-10 minutes, after that check the "Software Update" screen verify the download has started. To view the "Software Update" screen please follow the instructions below:
• Press the Menu button on the remote.
• Arrow to and select "System Setup" from the options.
• Arrow to and select "Software Update" from the options.
• The "Software Update" screen will let you monitor the progression of the download. Please note the initial software download will take approximately 45-50 minutes complete.
5. After the download is complete your receiver should automatically "reboot" and install the new software.
6. If you run into any problems please contact DISH Network (1-800-333-3474) and ask to be transferred to the "Advanced Technical Department".

It should work. I don't see the need for the SW21 switch since your your only using the 61.5 sat. You really only need one dual LNB. The other dual LNB is not seeing another sat, so you really don't even need that. You just need to find out what LNB is being used.

Can you get the software updates from 61? I thought it was only on one of the conus birds?

Anyone know for sure?

come on, you know exactly what I mean.

110 and 119 to be exact if you are too dense to figure it out for you self.

Would have been more helpful if you had address the question and then pointed out that 61.5 can be received (if barely) in the entire continental US. Here in the northwest, it is so low on the horizon that you are lucky to be in a position to receive it.

But I guess you thought you were being funny. Helpful would have been better.

Back to the question at hand to help the OP. Does 61.5 carry the software upgrades that he will need?

I'm pretty sure the software updates are on all the sats, however the program guide (9 days) may not be on the 61.5 sat. I guess there's only one way to find out.

I know that the 9 day guide is not on 119. I don't know if it is on 61.5 or not. I think that is on Tony's chart somewhere.... I'll try and find out

Just checked. The 9 day guide is only on 110. Sorry.

So if you only get 61.5, you will only get a 44 hour guide.

(Tony is the one who takes care of the chart, right?)

Big Bob said:
come on, you know exactly what I mean.

But I guess you thought you were being funny. Helpful would have been better.
It had nothing to do with trying to be funny. I was pretty sure you meant 110/119. However, I thought you might be referring to them incorrectly as "the conus birds", which also led to the incorrect perception that 61.5 did not have conus birds.

I find that correcting erroneous information is often helpful. Kooky, huh?

Big Bob said:
Can you get the software updates from 61? I thought it was only on one of the conus birds?

Anyone know for sure?

Yes, software update are spooled from 61.5. Many Sky Angel customers only have a dish for 61.5 and they get the same updates as 119/110 subscribers.

Config didn't work - yet

Well, i hooked everything up, and with Advanced Tech Support on the line did a check switch.

I casually happened to mention the "which Satellite" does the software upgrade spool from, and so tech support checked with "advanced, advanced support." (someone in the 'back room.')

-- > Answer: Software upgrades for different receivers come from different satellites.
For example, the 4900 receiver can get it's upgrade from the 61.5 satellite.
A Dishplayer can *only* get an upgrade from the 110 satellite.

In my case, the DVR-721, it has to be the 119 *or* the 110 satellite. But not 61.5.

So, I couldn't get the software upgrade, and consequently my configuration did not work, I presume because it's legacy type of LNBF/switch, etc.

If I can get the software upgrade, I am hoping my configuration can work.

Thanks all!

the 721 needs both sat inputs hooked up to the same/equal sat feed on both input 1 and input 2 and needs to get the 110 to update the pvr guides correctly.

dssturbo1 said:
the 721 needs both sat inputs hooked up to the same/equal sat feed on both input 1 and input 2 and needs to get the 110 to update the pvr guides correctly.

The guide will still work without 110. Just not as well. I tried it and it worked. But you only get about 2 days of a guide instead of a week or more.

You do NOT need any switch with the 61.5. Set the skew at 90, use 1 dual LNB and tune it in. Run lines from ports ports on the dual to the 721. And, to get the s/w update, just reset the elevation and swing the dish west, take the update, then swing it back. Problem solved till next update. OR get another dish, point to 110, and tie the 61.5 into the 110 with you sw21s. I am assuming you are only wanted Sky Angel, and that's why you don't have the 110 or 119?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts