DVR 722 External Drive Question

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi All,

I have a 722 unit with 2 ext. Western drives. Everything is working fine, but I need to know if there is a way to have both USB connectors from the 2 H.D.s plugged into the back of the 722 @ the same time.

I keep 1 set of programs in drive # 1 & another set in drive #2. When I add to the storage units I have to keep switching between both units- (USB connection to 722).

Is there an adaptor or a work around that will allow me to have both drives plugged into the 722 @ the same time? I know it seems like a small thing, but it's kind of a pain switching back & forth on an almost daily basis.

Thanks.:confused:

Interesting. It's not a big deal, but I was hoping that some kind of adapter would work. Thanks.

You'll need USB 2.0 switch, not a regular hub. Check Internet.

Thanks. I went online to Newegg. They have several USB 2.0 switches. However, all the customer reviews make reference to hooking the switch up to PC's. Is there a special switch for my application? Would you recommend any particular place to buy one from? Thanks.

Treat your DVR as a PC, that's real fact for sure. And remeber - the switch must have a button or a handle, not it switch devices automatically or by control signals from PC - your DVR doesn't have provision for that.

Last edited:
As you can only have one drive alive on the Dish DVR at any one time, you must either
(1) switch the power supplies off for all drives but the chosen with the USB cables connected through a USB hub,
(2) power all drives and use a USB switch as suggested for the rear USB port,
(3) buy raw drives and a Thermaltake(?) or like external mount for one drive at a time, or
(4) power all drives and manually cable the right one into say the front USB port.
The last may be ugly but is for me because I have 7 drives and 2 722s. Looks like a 1920's switchboard.
I just pick up the right cable(s) from the floor and plug it/them into the front port(s).
Fortunately all the drives go to standby when either power or USB is unplugged or the DVR is inactive and there is no transfer.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts